Free parts for life? What if I miss a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eliminator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering the official word on the free parts for life program if you miss a year. I heard that if you miss a year or two of servicing, you just have to pay for the parts for one year to "get back into the free parts program"

example:

-Reg bought new in Sep 04
-Serviced in Sep 05 (free parts)
-Serviced in Sep 06 (free parts)
-not serivced for whatver reason 07
-not serviced for whatever reason 08
-Service in 2009... Free Parts? Buy back into the program?

....still the original owner....

Don't forget.. The "Free for life" parts deal is only that companies life, not yours. I can't tell you how many thing I have bought that had life time this and that, only to find the company had been bought out 5 years later.. nothing is covered.. Right now, I wouldn't by Sears products if my life depended on it.

With my XS Scuba Sea-Air Tri-Metal Regulator (which I love), I got busy and didn't take it for servicing until closer to a year and a half; no free parts, can't buy back in, will have to pay for parts for every inspection here on out....no matter what. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but I think, once you miss a scheduled service, you're screwed as far as parts go. :thinking:

The key may be what the service provider requires for proof. With many shops, you need the original receipt proving you purchased it from an authorized dealer, and a receipt for the previous year's service.

Then again, IMHO, the biggest thing you are missing by not servicing your reg yearly is the unnecessary service expense and risk of service error. YMMV

what kind of reg do you have? Scubapro and Oceanic both let you buy back in (pay this year and next year is free). Aqualung/APEX relies on their dealers to enforce the program, so if you butter up your LDS you may be able to scam free parts. Sherwood uses colored rings on their hose protectors to give you your parts kits, but they are so cheap (except for SR1) that it really doesn't make much of a difference when you use up all of your rings.

Back
Top Bottom