Free flow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first or second stage?

if first i suspect you'ld be hard-pressed to do ANYTHING
about it other than close the valve and go to your backup
source.

if second you can try removing the second stage and (not too violently) slapping it against your palm to 'reseat'
the internal components. pressing the purge button MIGHT
stop it. sometimes they just stop on their own after a
few seconds of being outside your mouth.

the BEST thing is to not do anything that might cause it
to start free-flowing:

1) inflating a liftbag by purging the reg under it

2) taking the second out of your mouth and letting it
dangle or pressing the purge button to see the lovely
bubbles

3) pressing the purge to empty it of water. exhaling though
the second will do empty it just as well

4) exhaling into the second stage when the air temp
is cold (inhaling is acceptable) .. especially
when ice diving

It's possible (though a bit wet) to breath through a free flowing second stage, though you are probably better off getting someone to show you how, and practice in a pool. The technique basically involves tilting your head to one side and letting the excess air escape out of the corner of your mouth, but as I say, it's far easier to understand if you see it done/do it yourself

Deviltron , are you a certified diver?

If so you should have practised breathing from a free flowing second stage in your pool classes. If your instructor didnt teach you that skill then i would definately get intouch with him/her and ask them to arrange a short pool session whereby you can be taught this important basic skill.

I remember when they had us simulate free flow in the pool sessions! You're supposed to pop the reg, half out of your mouth and suck in the air bubbles and immediatly ascend. Compressed air is really cold Heads Up, I remember my cheek almost froze off.

You should have been taught this in your pool sessions, it also told you in the book.

Mike

In the event of a free flow at depth I wwould change over to my buddies alternate second stage and have him turn off my air source. We would then immediately ascend at a controlled ascent rate. We would always discuss this procedure in our pre dive briefing and checks.

Kevin

Yes im ACUC certified.
But when I went to see how the ice-diving was, they had many free flows, but the only thing the instructor showed us is to pull the diver out of the hole and open the 2nd stage (when at surface), removing the ice critals and let the 2nd stage in cold water for a while... I guess we can't do that whiile diving :)

Originally posted by Aegir
Deviltron , are you a certified diver?

If so you should have practised breathing from a free flowing second stage in your pool classes. If your instructor didnt teach you that skill then i would definately get intouch with him/her and ask them to arrange a short pool session whereby you can be taught this important basic skill.

I spoke to the instructor at my diving shop yesterday, and the procedure he told me was the exact same as Kevin's.

Thanks for you all!

P.S. It's weird we didn't see that in regular courses, even if we are in a cold country and always dry diving. Weird.

Hey Deviltron, sounds like you were asking about ways to deal with a freeze-up in particular. With ice diving, freeze-up are always an issue, but proper prevention techniques are worth their weight. GM's post is particularly important in the winter.

Add these on to GM's list:

1. If you are going to be in "ice-up" conditions, make sure you have added the proper environmental/anti-freeze kit to you first stage. Also, if your second stage is plastic, it may contain metal inserts to help keep ice buildup to a minimum.

2. Keep the tank warm before the dive.

3. Spastic breathing can cause problems (fast breaths etc)

Anyone like to add more?
Just my 0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom