Free diving in Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew they have been around for a long time, but most scuba divers probably have never heard of them..

I knew they have been around for a long time, but most scuba divers probably have never heard of them..

In my small sphere of visibility, Scuba divers were the only ones using them... sorta. Reped tables were limited to two dives/12 hours and most divers only owned two cylinders because of it. So, we would go "snorkeling" the rest of the day. I doubt it ever occurred to anyone to use different fins for Free and Scuba diving.

We have MANY customers who enjoy both scuba and freediving and probably most of them don't change fins either. Although now-a-days we know that mixing freediving with scuba is not a good idea, particularly if scuba precedes the freediving. Snorkeling on the surface has always been a great activity between or after tank dives.

... Although now-a-days we know that mixing freediving with scuba is not a good idea, particularly if scuba precedes the freediving...

Good cautionary catch. Although in those days very few divers had the expertise to make dives like freedivers today. We knew a little about breathing up but that was about it. I took a Performance Freediving class and was amazed how much I learned. It is the only diving class I've been in since getting out of the Navy that was worth the time. I doubt many of us normally broke 20' for more than 30 seconds, and 10-15' was a lot closer to the norm.

Yes, better techniques, better gear and the confidence that can be generated when diving with an attentive and fully trained freedive buddy can make a world of difference.

I'm a big supporter of people taking a freedive class. I don't want to sound too promotional, but we offer a special discount package which is available ONLY to students enrolled in a recognized freedive class.

Freediving Class Gear Package | MAKO Spearguns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom