Fred's dive log 10-4-03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Meet 2 new divers today. Scuba Jenny and Big Sage.
Nice people. Fun to dive with. Here are the SAC rates for the divers. Jenny .55 Fred .85 Sage 1.19.
Strong current coming back in used most of the gas then.
Now for the fun part. The swim out was OK but after decending I started getting that OH I should have tried to go one more time before suiting up. Those chicken wings from the night before were starting to fly. I forgot my antacid pills as well as my GAS-EX.
Thinking to myself "hope this don't mess up my bouyancy". About 30 min into the dive the cramps started. There's nothing like not knowing wether it's a gas or a solid are worse a liquid. (you know I looked and I looked but I couldn't find a Bathroom down there) Well anyway I had to take a chance and lucky for me it was a gas and I was underwater with a regulator in my mouth and a mask covering my nose so smell was not a problem. (wonder if Sage noticed the bubbles coming out of my wetsuit) Anyway I felt much better afterwards. Saw a couple of octypus bunch of other fish and had a great time. Looking forward to doing it again.

Right.. This is insane consumption rate, but I guess its pretty good for my dive this weekend. Why did I calculate it? Because it was posted about SAC in the first post and it got my grey matter thinking I suppose:

18.20 psi/min, or 0.49 cf/min.

My wifes was slightly higher:

22.75 psi/min, or 0.61 cf/min.

Anyone want to check this? It was a 64m dive @ 18 feet. I used 1800lbs, she used 2250.

My math was rough on it since I've not done it in about a year, but this website sure helped: http://www.ricksdivinglocker.com/CalculatorAirConsumption.asp

Glad you tracked the SAC. I was trying to do it on the fly and calc'd 1.50. By the way..it must have been that rocking current..
I thought I was only one going "Oh my God... what a way to impress new dive buddies". Kept it compartmented though.

Gotta say I had a great dive and look forward to gettin wet with you again.

Safe diving:)

Ok now you got me wondering. I put in the numbers on the site CBulla pointed to:
Catalina 80- I picked the first choice for it:"Rated Pressure: 3300 PSI , Rated Volume 77.4 FT3" Started with 3000psi
Dive Time Minutes:77
Dive Depth Feet :23
Air Used :1550

Your Surface Consumption Rate is: 11.86 psi/min, or 0.28 cf/min.

Average depth for nthe dive.
Time down
Tank size
If your using a al 3000 tank that holds 77.3 Cu Ft.
3300 IS A med high pressure tank if you want I can cal. with that but a 3300 psi is normaly a neutraly bouyant aluminum tank.
Is that what your using?
I think you came out with 1600 psi left. It's all an average anyway. We went to 23 ft but spent most of our time at 17 ft.
The average depth was 15ft. At least thats what my dive computer says.
I used 3000 psi in for you Jenny, 3500 psi for Sage, and 2640 for me for the tank sizes
Out for you was 1600, Sage was 400 , I was 800
Sage had a high press 100, I had a low press 108, You had a Med press al 80.
Average depth was 15 ft. for 77 min. I do it on the computer with the dive planning program I have. All I need do is bunch in the numbers. If you want it I'll send it to you. It works good. Not that big of a program either.
:)

Just one last comment...
I didn't think there was much current at all! Of course, tho, I did have to suck my stomach in a few times to keep from hitting something on the bottom!
Lookin' forward to our next dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom