FP Trip Report- Part lll - Manihi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bacchus

Reaction score
Leaving Rangiroa was tough. We had made good friends and had fantastic dives. Since our flight wasn't until mid afternoon we did make a shallow dive in the morning before we left for the airport. You know what they say...."Any time under water" (they do say that, don't they? And who really is they? Anyway, I digress)

Manihi is a medium-sized atoll about 110 miles northeast of Rangiroa. Best known for its' pearl farms (the first was established in 1968), the diving is fantastic. With only one pass, Tairapa, the diving is much like Rangiroa from a profile standpoint.

One of the very few regrets from our FP trip is that we only had 3 days in Manihi. If there was ever a place outside the mountains of Colorado that I felt at home it was here.

We arrived in Manihi early afternoon. The airport was closed a while ago when the end of the runway was washed away. Planes now use the shortened runway and taxi to a small thatched roof hut, where you deplane and catch a golf cart to the Pearl Beach Resort . Once again we had an ocean view bungalow. Being the first of the Pearl Resort in FP, this resort was a little more quaint than the Bora Bora property. The infinity pool was beautiful and almost always empty of swimmers.

The on property dive center at the Pearl Beach is Blue Nui Diving. The center is owned by Gilles, who owns the Bora Bora and Tahaa Blue Nui Centers, also. The shop is run by Thierry Cadeaux . Thierry is great. Sometimes you run into a DM that you really click with, here's one of them. Thierry is in the process of trying to idenitfy all of the Mantas in the area. Each of the Mantas have different orientation and amounts of spots on their underside. With good photos, they are distinguishable. The Mantas are named by the photographer. (i.e. Finesse)

Diving in Manihi is pretty simple. All of the dive sites are oriented around the pass or in the lagoon. Our first dive was at Le Cirque. The site is located in the lagoon, just inside the exit of the pass. Visibility may be limited, but it is well worth the dive as it is a cleaning station for manta rays . Upon entering the water you immediately follow the anchor line to the bottom (around 75 feet). From there you are in the middle of 3 cleaning stations. Mantas are not guaranteed, but we were lucky. After just 3 or 4 minutes the first of the Mantas arrived. Within another couple of minutes there were 4 males and 1 female Manta doing lazy circles around the dive site. It was truly amazing how big and graceful these creatures are. Photographing the Mantas was really as simple as moving from location to location and not getting in their way.

Mantas from 1st dive at Le Cirque
doubles
like a stealth bomber
kites
"Perdita"- the lone female
Soaring
from above
I've got my eye on you
Hey....watch where you're going
Bacchus

After the first dive at Le Cirque I was convinced that I could do the same dive everyday for a month. Granted, there wasn't much from a coral standpoint and there weren't a lot of fish, but who cares!

Dive 2 in Manihi was called La Faille. this is another rather easy dive, beginning in shallow water and working down to around 80 ft. There is more coral here and some intersting smaller fish, eels, gray reef sharks and black tips.

La Faille
Spotted Rock Cod
Convict Tangs
We knicknamed the convict tangs "high school girls" because they would hurry from place to place in large groups. "I'm going here, no I'm going here"
corals
black tip
titan trigger
red snapper

Second day at La Cirque wasn't as productive as the first. Only one Manta showed up. This was a Manta that we didn't see on day one. Named "Quasimoto", he is missing most of one of his front flaps. Thierry thinks it may have been eaten by a shark when he was younger. He certainly wasn't shy, as you can tell by the photos below:

Quasimoto
head on
gills
say cheese!
bye for now

Last dive of the trip was a drift dive through Tairapa that emptied out into the lagoon at La Cirque. The currents were't exceptionally strong going into the pass, but we did motor along fairly well. As the pass empties into the lagoon the depth goes from around 70 ft to 20 ft real quick. There's nothing you can do but hold on. Your computer is screaming to slow your ascent, but there's nothing you can do. There was some interesting life along the pass. Including... eel , long nose butterfly , flounder , marble grouper , unicorn fish , yellow trumpet , and sleeping nurse shark

I've been few places in my life where when it was time to go home I just didn't want to leave. French Polynesia was one of those places. The beauty of the land, sea, ocean life and people are unsurpassed by almost anywhere else. Thanks for letting me share some of the greatest times of my life!

From the bottom of the ocean to the top of the world here's wishing you clear water, great snow (hey...we ski too!) and a very Happy New Year for 2003.

Steve and Allison and Bacchus (the dog)

Bacchus once bubbled...

I've been few places in my life where when it was time to go home I just didn't want to leave. French Polynesia was one of those places. The beauty of the land, sea, ocean life and people are unsurpassed by almost anywhere else......

We could not agree more !!!!! Felt like we were back on the atoll!! and this only makes us want to go back all the more

And what you said about Thierry is so true ...... He is one of a kind !!!!

Thanks for sharing ..... and great pictures!!!!

One question ..... What was your favorite Island or Atoll ??.....I know tough one to figure out...

Finesse once bubbled...

We could not agree more !!!!! Felt like we were back on the atoll!! and this only makes us want to go back all the more

And what you said about Thierry is so true ...... He is one of a kind !!!!

Thanks for sharing ..... and great pictures!!!!

One question ..... What was your favorite Island or Atoll ??.....I know tough one to figure out...

That's like asking me what my favorite bottle of wine is. Which is what everyone does when they find out I'm a wine importer. I'll tell you what I tell them.....It depends on what you're after. Different wines (or atolls) for different times.

shhhh...don't tell anyone , but . :D :D1990 Domaine de la Romanee Conti "La Tache" and Manihi

great trip report, wonderful pics. i kept going back and forth so much that i lost track of time ! it's 3 am now and i better get to bed soon.

take care

the memories came flooding back. You summed it up perfectly when you said how much you felt at home in Manihi! We were in love with the resort as soon as we hopped in our golf cart! At that point, honestly, I wasn't sure what we were riding too.....but I didn't care - we had landed in our dream place. And Thierry is wonderful, isn't he??? *sigh*

It's fantastic to be able to share these experiences with people who have been there - we must meet sometime in 2003 to rehash the good times!

Happy New Year!

Your report that is, looks like I'll have to add a new place to the list!:D

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

to all and sundry for not responding to Steve's trip report until now. Yesterday was my first day back in the office and I had heaps to do, regretably.

Great report, Steve, and for someone who has never wielded a camera underwater I think you did pretty darn well, doesn't everyone agree? A round of applause for Steve and a round of drinks for me, please!

It's always nice to get reminded of your past adventures, and this certainly made me even more determined to go back in 2004. However, to make you all green with envy, I am currently planning my big 2003 expedition to Truk & Bikini in May (anyone want to come along?!). It's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it!

Well, time is money, as they say, and I will be back soon...

Bye for now
Jim

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
my enormous apologies to all

Apologies accepted Jim, nice to finally hear from you. I understand that at least 2 or 3 days of the normal work week are holidays in Europe so we appreciate you weighing in at all! :D

However, to make you all green with envy, I am currently planning my big 2003 expedition to Truk & Bikini in May (anyone want to come along?!). It's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it!

Send info as soon as possible....before Allison and I plan our big trip for the year!

Happy New Year to you

Steve

at least 2 or 3 days of the normal work week are holidays in Europe
No, you've got it all wrong! That's the Continentals! Us Brits work all the hours we're given. Ahem, cough cough!

Well, the Bikini week is 23-30 April ($2000 instead of $2750) and the Truk Aggressor week is 4-11 May ($1995 instead of $2195).

But I thought you were slacking off with a bunch of garlic munchers who were coming over to visit at that time...!

Joyeux Nouvelle Annee, as they might possibly say in France!

Scuba Jim once bubbled...

Truk Aggressor week is 4-11 May ($1995 instead of $2195).

But I thought you were slacking off with a bunch of garlic munchers who were coming over to visit at that time...!

You're right, it's the only week in May that I can't get away! 5 winemakers from France and Spain are invading my life. The Bikini trip sounds good, but, we'll have just gotten back from Cayman with Natasha. Maybe back to FP, with you this time, in 2004.

BTW, we're looking into Galapagos for the early fall this year, we should talk.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom