Fourth Element SubXero Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Desert Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my new set of the Fourth Element SubXero Undergarments and I cannot wait to try the them out! Now, if only it weren't 111 deg. outside now, I would love to try them out. I know that the temp outside won't stop me in another week or so, but for now it has. From just trying them on inside I have to comment on how well made they are! Fourth Element has done a great job on creating a superb undergarment and I shouldn't have any problems staying warm.

I got a SMOKING deal on them thanks to Ken at Off The Wall Scuba. Thanks Ken!

I am interested in getting d fourthelement but don't know which ones yet. all my divebuddies down here recommend the Artics and if i get still bit cold i can add the xerotherm. however the combination of 2 is more costlier than just getting a subxero. so still undecided. Have u tried the Artics or other 4thelements undergarment?

thx

No I haven't tried the Artics yet. I can tell you though, that diving in cold water with the SubXeros you should not get cold because these things seem very warm.

I can do about an hour in 6c water with a subxero before starting to get cold. This compared to about 20 mins in a weezle at the same temp. They're definitely warm but do require enourmous amounts of lead to sink.

Usage tip:- be sure to leave all the pockets unzipped (on bottoms and jacket) when diving - they're mesh lined and designed to allow air to migrate through them to get to the dump valve.

They're definitely warm but do require enourmous amounts of lead to sink.

AG was using these the other day on the boat. They looked quite nice, and he didn't say too much about needing extra weight. But I guess there really is no free lunch . . . :(

They don't look particularly lofty (not like Weezles anyway). Are they built with sealed air-pockets or something?

I really enjoy mine. But they did require me to add 4 lbs of lead versus no lead with the Weezle. I've done 60 minute dives in 40F water on my SubXero's and didn't get cold. They were a tad more restrictive than the Weezle, but it took some getting used to.

They don't look particularly lofty (not like Weezles anyway). Are they built with sealed air-pockets or something?

Its nowhere near as lofty as my weezle - its more like a thinsulate type "compact" insulation. Unlike the weezle though it doesnt require loft (and therefore air) to stay warm for that reason.
It contains multiple layers of stuff but not sure what exactly it is.

Had a chance today for a proper weight check comparison with the suits. It needed 3kg (6.5lbs) more than my weezle extreme to sink but it is a hell of a lot warmer.

I have the Arctic top. I wore it under a White's Fusion with two pairs of technical underwear (a PowerDry one-piece over PowerDry bottoms and top) this week in Tobermory on dives to the Forest City and Niagara II. The bottom temperature was about 39F in each case. Both dives were modest "recreational" dives, so I was in the water for far less than an hour and certainly didn't spend the entire time below the coldest thermocline.

But I can say I was very comfortable and I didn't need much lead at all, I carried 16 lbs to go with a steelie 95. I now have the Arctic leggings on my shopping list for colder dives this Autumn. In comparison to the White's MK3 suit, I suspect it may not have been quite so warm, but it was far less restrictive, far less buoyant, and if conditions suit I would much prefer wearing the Arctic to the MK3.

I got to dive part of the undergarment in CA over the weekend and in 56deg. water I was very warm with just the bottoms on. The top was too much and I didn't need it for just 2 dives. These undergarments will keep anyone very warm! While they will require a few extra lbs. they would be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom