Fourth Element Halo 3d

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEVANJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Everyone,
Just wondering how much lead you had to add to your kit to sink a F/E Halo undergament, compared with something like a set of arctics?

On a recent course (fresh water), with twin 12L (faber) 220bar cylinders, and a 2.2kg stainless backplate, I needed an additional 6kg of lead to sink. The 6kg was worn as a 3kg tail weight, and a 3kg v-weight.

During the course, I couldn't hold a stop at 3m when my tanks were at 30bar! I also felt incredibly head heavy, and I imagine I would need close to 4 or 5kg of the lead as a tail weight to be trim-neutral.

I have done several dives since (all fresh water) with 7kg of weight all worn in weight pockets. With the weight low on my hips, I felt pretty good in terms of weight and trim. How can I get this into a tail weight that low, and in turn get the pockets?!

What have I got wrong? This halo seems to take TONS of lead to sink compared to the polar fleece onesie I was using before this. In comparison, I need 1kg of trim lead when using a 12L twinset, and a 7mm wetsuit. I can sink it and maintain stops without the trim weight, and that is in salt water! :confused:

Bev

My weight stayed the same BTW the two. I did not find there to be much difference in the undergarments. I have friends who went up in weight as well, that being said I dive with my suit vacuum packed to me, well not that tight but I dive with the bare minimum of gas yo avoid drysuit hickeys.

I only use 10lbs (~4kg) in salt water, fresh is typically 5lb(~2kg) of lead. This is inclusive of the BP, Rb, wing, lights etc. I could probably shave another pound or two but I like to be a bit negative for the helium tanks.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom