Fourth Element Argonaut vs. Santi Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...curious about the comparison between the Fourth Element drysuit you wore during demo day and why you wouldn't switch it with the DUI. Did you find something "off" or find something you just didn't like compared to your TLS?
Matt - nothing "off" about the Fourth Element suit (and I love my Fourth Element undergarments). I've got a TLS 350 that was made for me (even though it's a standard size), works just fine, fits well and is great to dive in, so no reason to swap it out (dry suits aren't exactly cheap!). I thought the Fourth Element drysuits were equally good, too. DUI is local (so service if ever needed is a breeze), builds great drysuits, has terrific customer service and does a lot to support the local dive community. Zipseals work well, and fortunately I've never had one leak or tear. It's no different from favorite brands of regulators, masks, fins or BCs / backplates and wings - lots of great choices, but for whatever reason, everyone seems to have their personal favorites. In the end, the whole idea is to find a drysuit that fits you specifically the best and keeps you warm, dry and comfortable while diving, and gives many years of good service. I started diving in a DUI suit, so that's what I knew best when I bought a drysuit, and everyone around me dives DUI suits for the most part. I'm also somewhat average build, so lots of options fit me. For someone taller, some brands might fit a lot better than others, and it's a lot better to find out during demo days than after writing a big check. If you're looking at a custom suit, make sure it's easy to get adjusted if it doesn't fit quite right when you get it (hopefully on the LDS's or manufacturer's dime)

Once you narrow down your choices, I suggest calling the manufacturers directly to go over what you're thinking and get their feedback and suggestions. I talked to customer service at DUI a few times before I finalized what I wanted and ordered - again one of the good things about having so many good choices

Keep in mind, any drysuit can be modified by adding pockets, changing seals, changing seal systems, etc, to suit your taste. It just takes time and money, but fortunately not outside of reasonable costs. I don't even have pockets, kneepads or replaceable neck seals on mine yet; after several years I'm still trying to figure out what I want

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom