Fourth Element Argonaut Hybrid Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone dove the fourth element Argonaut Hybrid drysuit? What are you opinions? Good, bad & the ugly.... I will be in the market for a new drysuit this spring. Unfortunately my TLS350 suits just have not held up as well as I would have liked.... if one is not leaking, both are. I went through the Biomap measuring at DEMA, thinking this may be the rout I take.

I have the Kevlar Argonaut, it has not held up very well. The external tape on the seams started to come off and the lower half of the suit developed a lot of leaks after about 150 dives. I had it repaired, at my own cost—the suit was (barely) out warranty when I got it fixed. Legs started leaking again approx. 20 dives after repair. I know other divers that have no problems with the Argonaut so maybe i got a lemon. The suit has been returned to Fourth Element, I hoping they can sort things out, I have not heard back from them yet though.

Interesting, I'll mention that to the dealer that sold me the Kevlar suit… Is hybrid how Fourth Element refers to the non-kevlar version of the suit? I don't see a reference to it on the F.E. webste.

Last edited:
It was basically a comment that Kevlar isn't as "bullet proof" as a lot of people think it is. The hybrid had Kevlar on the top half & a very tough material (not really sure what it was) for the bottom half with knee reinforcements from mid- thigh almost down to the ankles.

Thank you tstormdiver, useful information considering the problems I've had with my Argonaut Kevlar.

I just put an order in for the hybrid suit. It's actually not in full production yet, and was just displayed at DEMA. I doubt you will find many folks that have dove it. The rep I talked to at DEMA also recommended the hybrid because I am going to be using it for cave diving, but the reason he said he would prefer that suit is because of the increased flexibility in the legs, not because of a durability issue. The kevlar is a little more restrictive than the usual drysuit material, and the guy from 4th element said he had much better movement for tech kicks in the hybrid. The hybrid is simply a kevlar upper half, and their flex material for the lower half. The pricing is the same as the all kevlar suit. They told me mine will probably be here in around 6 weeks or so...so I'll post back around then!

"The bad thing is my DUI suits are now more Aquaseal than drysuit....
04.gif
" Sounds like the lower part of my Argonaut.
Seems there are sllightly conflicting reports from DEMA, tstormdiver: 'a comment that Kevlar isn't as "bullet proof" as a lot of people think it is' and TotDoc: 'but the reason he said he would prefer that suit is because of the increased flexibility in the legs, not because of a durability issue'.
I've had no issues with flexibility but I'm dissapointed with how un-bullet proof my suit has been, particularly the lower half, lots of leaks after approx. 150 dives (many of them in caves and wrecks). As mentioned above it's on it's way back to F.E. I'll see what they have to say…

PS: my apologies for hijacking your Hybrid thread tstormdiver

"The bad thing is my DUI suits are now more Aquaseal than drysuit....
04.gif
" Sounds like the lower part of my Argonaut. Seems there are sllightly conflicting reports from DEMA, tstormdiver: 'a comment that Kevlar isn't as "bullet proof" as a lot of people think it is' and TotDoc: 'but the reason he said he would prefer that suit is because of the increased flexibility in the legs, not because of a durability issue'.
I've had no issues with flexibility but I'm dissapointed with how un-bullet proof my suit has been, particularly the lower half, lots of leaks after approx. 100 dives (many of them in caves and wrecks). It's on it's way back to F.E. I'll see what they have to say…

PS: my apologies for hijacking your Hybrid thread tstormdiver

Not at all... :D The more I learn of this product, the better buying decision I can make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom