Fourth Element Arctic Expedition vs Halo 3D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is one better than the other in terms of materials used? Does one provide better insulating capacity over the other? Thanks.

I have ordinary Artics and a Halo 3d that I happened to get cheap. I don’t rate the Helo 3d. It takes more lead but doesn’t seem warmer. Mine is lent out at the moment and I have since bought a Santi BZ400X for trips where I expect it to be particularly cold.

They’ve discontinued the AE.

I believe they’ll be discontinuing the Halo 3D as well as soon as the Halo AR is released.

I believe they’ll be discontinuing the Halo 3D as well as soon as the Halo AR is released.

This is what they told me in May 2020

Thank you for your email. The Arctic Expedition has been phased out. There is no more stock available in the US or Canada market. It was shipped back to the UK office. Some sizes may be available on the Webshop which is run from the UK home office.

The Halo 3D is in the process of being phased out. However, the replacement for it, the Halo AR is now pushed back to the Fall, due to Covid-19 activities.

Regular arctics are fantastic. The Halo and AR will require more lead because they trap more air/argon with their design.
I do recommend the arctic one-piece if you invest, the two-piece design may ride up as you get your suit donned which can be annoying.
Pop into costco and get a set of thin marino wool base-layers to wear under the Arctic and you'll be pretty set up for lots of cold water activities.

I dove my newer arctics a few weeks ago and was pretty happy in 43f water under a 5mm neo suit. Mobility was better than my other less warm undersuit.

It was recommended to me to get the arctics over the halo so I could have the advantage to layer marino underneath which is the plan. Again, in a neo ds.

The only slight downside (which is really just a skill problem) is it's lofty and holds air well, so on ascent it's slightly harder to get air out of the suit. I just needed to remember that and maybe prepare for it as I come up. Not a big deal.

I don't know if that helped or not...but I love the arctics way more than I thought I would. I'm cheap and bought new and believe they were worth every penny. Hell I spent more on them than the ds itself:)

Back
Top Bottom