Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is only good for 24 hours, so basically if the divers are not found the first day, it’s useless. Why can’t they have longer battery life? Sometimes, I feel like carrying two 0,5l containers of water with minerals in the pockets of a jacket BCD is even better.

Sometimes, the simple safety devices work best

First, here's hoping for a good outcome!

So what is the general consensus here in this situation then, that all stay together and possibly become lost forever / dying, or the strongest swimmer, seemingly in this case the instuctor - (and after having somehow secured the others together so they don't drift apart) - make an attempt to reach land and alert someone to the situation?

Me, I am for the latter option, as I have been there / had someone do that. I see that being more a 'duty of care' than all sticking together and simply floating away holding hands hoping your found before your dead.

Oh, as an aside, I am another that fully supports the carrying of a PLB and other safety / rescue devices, especially if diving at all 'remotely' or in so-called third world countries. Better to have and never need, than to need and not

But the % drop after the 48 once heat exhaustion/heat stroke kick in.

It's now more than 48 hours and the sun is setting. Hoping that we hear some good news but things are starting to look grim.

Search ended today. To ne continued tommorrow.

Attachments

• FACA51F7-8AF5-41C8-9E4D-33D751603D5D.png
    FACA51F7-8AF5-41C8-9E4D-33D751603D5D.png
    261.4 KB · Views: 38
  • F478BBFD-C77D-41CA-AA67-CA930BAD6A9C.png
    F478BBFD-C77D-41CA-AA67-CA930BAD6A9C.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 2F89CBFE-442B-415F-A045-D5B63EBAD2A3.png
    2F89CBFE-442B-415F-A045-D5B63EBAD2A3.png
    205 KB · Views: 50
But the % drop after the 48 once heat exhaustion/heat stroke kick in.
Seems you edited your post just as I was answering. So to your edited out "nobody gets lost in the first 48hrs......" or words to that effect.........really? Seems like the three that stuck together here have. Unfortunately.

Seems you edited your post just as I was answering. So to your edited out "nobody gets lost in the first 48hrs......" or words to that effect.........really? Seems like the three that stuck together here have. Unfortunately.

Because you do not assume all is lost in the first 48 hours esp in these circumstances where they hv the bouyancy vests & flippers & wet suits on.

But after 48 hours without drinking water & exposure to the sun, the % start to decrease.

The group came with a dive boat so if they did not return after certain period surely the boat captain would call for help(he did).
Swim to the nearest land mass? Give it a try but stay as a group.
Would the sole survivor(so far) perished (not yet confirmed) with the others if she had stayed together?

He was alone.

It is only good for 24 hours, so basically if the divers are not found the first day, it’s useless. Why can’t they have longer battery life? Sometimes, I feel like carrying two 0,5l containers of water with minerals in the pockets of a jacket BCD is even better.
That true but is there any prior cases where it’s triggered and rescue can’t figure out where people are within 24 hours?

If everything works the thing sends out an exact gps coordinates and the agency that handles that are very very proactive afaik

It is only good for 24 hours, so basically if the divers are not found the first day, it’s useless. Why can’t they have longer battery life?
PLBs are generally 24 hour battery life. EPIRBS are usually more like 48 hour battery life. Depending on location, longer battery life is usually not needed. Agencies listening for the 406MHz beacons don't need much time to receive the signal, confirm, locate, and respond. The older devices took several passes from the satellites to triangulate a position. The newer devices send the position, so the time to respond is usually pretty quick.

This, of course, depends on the user registering their device. I recall reading a brief story several years back. I'll never be able to find it again, because it was such a non-event. It involved the rescue of boaters offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. They were well over 10 miles from shore. IIRC, the time gap between receiving the signal and a helicopter locating them was under 30 minutes.

That true but is there any prior cases where it’s triggered and rescue can’t figure out where people are within 24 hours?

If everything works the thing sends out an exact gps coordinates and the agency that handles that are very very proactive afaik
One thing I don't understand. What good is having the GPS coordinates a couple of hours later? Does the PLB provides the exact location real time to S&R team or do they stick to the initial alert?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom