Found in the river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ed

After viewing several of your posting we seem to share a similar interest in finding old bottles where are you diving from. I have several friends I've met over the years and we dive in Lake George, New Jersey and look for old bottles down in St. Thomas USVI.

Let me know modo diver

I did most of my diving last year off a boat in the St.Clair River but I do alot of shore diving. This would be drift diving because of the strong current. We will park a truck in a parking lot up river and a truck down river. I am at the point where I do not bring up bottles any more unless they are clay. Down river is in mostly untouched most of the diving is done North of the Black river.

Attachments

• DSCN1565.jpg
    DSCN1565.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 88
Great finds, Thanks for the picture.

That is a pretty cool trade pipe you found. It is rather rare to find that much of a stem on one as it is broken off as it is passed around. Nice finds!!!

Algator, the reason most of the clay pipes that you will find in the St.Clair River are broken, is on the ferry boats that would go up and down the river and back and forth from the US to Canada, is when you boarded the boat the women would get a flower and the men would get a pipe filled with tobacco. And after they had smoked the tobacco they would break the stem off and throw it in the water for good luck.

Found in the St. Clair River all on one dive. I have here 2 clay crocks some insolaters, a clay pipe and I think a perfume bottle. I had a heck of a time carring all of this stuff.

Ed

Hello Riverdiver,

Thanks for the post. I am a river diver here in Charleston SC. I found a clay pipe just like the one in your photo. Here is a link to where I found it. Check it out.

Clay Pipe

I found a bottle that is identical to the one next to the pipe. I imagined it to be a medicine bottle. I found it offshore Myrtle Beach SC in about 80 feet of sea water. It was under the sand laying next to a fully loaded civil war shipwreck that is referred to as the Governor. The dive shops in Myrtle Beach make runs to it.

Here is a link to the location:

Civil war vintage bottle

Interesting to know there is a dive culture there that is apparently similar to the one here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom