Found an underwater camera: need help finding owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Facebook: I don't have it, but I will get it (friend posted it).

Camera time: I believe the dates may be correct, but not the times. When I was checking the camera out, I saw there was still a small amount of juice in the battery, and I hit the wrong button and snapped a picture. I remember looking at the date of that picture, and it was correct. I copied the images from the card to my laptop but didn't bring the card with me on this trip (I didn't copy the picture that I took, only the original ones from the camera, but I still have the card, so will confirm when I get home next week).

Condition of camera: The camera and case were in excellent condition; no marine growth and a slight charge in the battery - essentially dead, but was able to turn on, snap a pic, and then went dead.

As I think about this some more I'm thinking that they may have recently visited the keys, and lost the camera (i.e. dropped while swimming, kayaking, etc.) before they took any pictures.

Good job on recognizing the charter shop! Hopefully we can connect the dots that way.

UPDATE:

I have heard back from Red Sail Sports, and they confirmed that the boat is theirs and the employee who responded was the one in the picture. He did not, however, work the January cruises, but he helped immensely by finding the last time he worked dives for guests from Disney Fantasy.

The last time he'd worked dives from this ship was in October and late September. But it may be too much to ask if he can look at his schedule from 2015. The shop's site says he's been there since 2012. That's a bummer, but if that camera had accurate date metadata, on the shot you took, then it's possibly accurate. Another possibility is that they recognized this, and reprogrammed the date after the cruise.

The shop, unfortunately, does not recognize the divers, lending more credence to the idea that this may be from 3 years ago. But, I don't think they'd remember all the older cruise passengers that came through.

The shop did suggest contacting Disney and asking if they'd mass email the passengers on the three last trips this employee worked. I don't know if they will, but it's a shot in the dark. I will compose an email to them in the morning.

And please, if you're able, I would appreciate the videos. It may provide additional clues. I asked if that was all the stills, because the zip didn't have the picture of the girl. Was that a shot from a video?

UPDATE:

I have heard back from Red Sail Sports, and they confirmed that the boat is theirs and the employee who responded was the one in the picture. He did not, however, work the January cruises, but he helped immensely by finding the last time he worked dives for guests from Disney Fantasy.

The last time he'd worked dives from this ship was in October and late September. But it may be too much to ask if he can look at his schedule from 2015. The shop's site says he's been there since 2012. That's a bummer, but if that camera had accurate date metadata, on the shot you took, then it's possibly accurate. Another possibility is that they recognized this, and reprogrammed the date after the cruise.

The shop, unfortunately, does not recognize the divers, lending more credence to the idea that this may be from 3 years ago. But, I don't think they'd remember all the older cruise passengers that came through.

The shop did suggest contacting Disney and asking if they'd mass email the passengers on the three last trips this employee worked. I don't know if they will, but it's a shot in the dark. I will compose an email to them in the morning.

And please, if you're able, I would appreciate the videos. It may provide additional clues. I asked if that was all the stills, because the zip didn't have the picture of the girl. Was that a shot from a video?

Yes, the still of the girl was a snapshot from a video.

I've found Disney's sailing dates for 2015 and the Fantasy's sailing dates don't match up to the dates on the camera. There is a sailing date on the 10th of Jan 2015, but that doesn't really mean anything,

I've found Disney's sailing dates for 2015 and the Fantasy's sailing dates don't match up to the dates on the camera. There is a sailing date on the 10th of Jan 2015, but that doesn't really mean anything,
Great! That indicates that the date function was reset between when the pictures were taken and when you found it. That makes it more likely to have been lost in October.

I'm downloading the video, and then plan to email Disney.

Update, the family may have a girl named Chloe, and possibly someone named Brian.

Last edited:
Can you locate what would seem like a model/ serial number on the camera, inside battery compartment or on a sticker inside or something? if you can, you may want to try and call one of these numbers on the Vivitar support page.
Support :: Vivitar

You can pretend to be the owner and ask them that you would like to see if you properly registered your product, (if such a thing is done with there product) you may be able to get a name or some detail of importance doing something along those lines. Thats assuming the camera was registered and the support staff have access to registration database. asking if the guy registered the camera out right would not work.... or at least should not work if that company has any sort of security standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom