Suggestion Forum on diving expeditions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Stefan Austermühle
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I am from Peru and we are constantly organizing diving expeditions = a dive exploration in not-yet dived wilderness areas: in our case ocean, Andean Lakes and rainforest rivers. Many times this has to do with research but more in an exploration way.

Many times we are offering divers to participate.

There must be other guys out there exploring undived sites and it should be great to have a forum for that where you can exchange experience, provide logistical advice or anounce such kind of expeditions.

For example in october 2010 we are planning an expedition to lake Titicaca (3812 meters altitude) and there is not realy a good place here to anounce the possibility to participate

Best Stefan

Steps needed:

Quick Manual for New Forums

So you want a new forum?

You need to think about the following:

* Is the subject suitable for ScubaBoard?
* Is it necessary, isn't this subject already covered by another forum?
* Is it to be a private forum? If so, for which group? Any specific access restrictions (ie read-only etc.)?

Got that covered?

Good, next thing you need to do is to start a thread in Suggestions (part of Site Support).

Also, you'll need at least a dozen members who'll back your proposal.

Finally, the ScubaBoard Staff will consider your proposal and create the forum if approved.

Please note that any forum may also be removed due to inactivity.

Any questions? Send us a message!
ScubaBoard - Frequently Asked Questions: General Forum Usage

I don't know about that. I rarely look at the travel forum but am always reading the expedition reports on TDS. An expedition forum here would be nice as well as serve to educate people on what expedition diving really is.

What I've learned in my limited readings is that expedition diving can and often does take tech to a whole new level with the logisitics involved. And doing one to a lake above 10,000 feet which is what most altitude tables go to would be really neat. The deco procedures used, mixes, and medical concerns and prep would go way beyond a trip notice to Fiji.

Definitely you are right - diving in Lake Titicaca seems easy (with all the hotels and road infrastructure around) but one mistake and the slightest dive accident becomes a life-threatening situation. But apart of that I can tell you that even charging your tanks with a portable compressor in that altitude is a nightmare. Thank god we always make a coca-leaf chewing offering to mamacocha (mother Lake) before diving - the best protection there is and the only way to get community permission to dive - have a look at my you-tube video about lake titicaca diving - look for my you-tube channel: mundoazul1 - or stop by my web site: Nature Expeditions Peru

Stefan Austermühle;5108879:
Hi

I am from Peru and we are constantly organizing diving expeditions = a dive exploration in not-yet dived wilderness areas: in our case ocean, Andean Lakes and rainforest rivers. Many times this has to do with research but more in an exploration way.

There must be other guys out there exploring undived sites and it should be great to have a forum for that where you can exchange experience, provide logistical advice or anounce such kind of expeditions.

For example in october 2010 we are planning an expedition to lake Titicaca (3812 meters altitude) and there is not realy a good place here to anounce the possibility to participate

Best Stefan

Depending on the details of the dives themselves and the logistics, this topic may be a candidate for the T2T forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tek-tek/

The T2T forum was designed for the discussion of advanced technical dives and may be the best place for discussion on mounting an exploration. If you wish, PM me with details and I'll see if it's something that should be included there.

Stefan Austermühle;5108879:
Hi

Best Stefan

Stefan - A forum place for reading about expedition dives to weird and wonderful places out of the way would be a great idea, hope Scubaboard take it up for you and look forward to reading some such dive reports from you, or others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom