Forty Dead Hammerhead Pups at Kaneohe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
At first very mysterious and alarming.... Biologists baffled. Now, it seems it is believed that fishermen just discarded them from GILL NETS.

I thought we were banning those? Kanehoe is a known breeding ground for hammerheads.

I saw it on the news on Saturday....sad sight to see.

Do you really think that they will bann them?

Heard Gov Lingle talk about the gill net situation... basically everywhere except Molokai and some spots on Lanai (if I remember correctly) will be banning gill nets.

Anybody know if the gill net opposition cites Hawaiian cultural practices?

I hope you guys get the ban passed....the results of the gill net ban here in FL have been outstanding in just a short amount of time....unfortunately, it did not affect the guy who just caught the new world record hammerhead(on hook and line) a few short miles from where I live...she was pregnant with about 30 or so pups in her belly....all this for 5 minutes on the evening news and your name in a record book?????????

catherine96821:
Anybody know if the gill net opposition cites Hawaiian cultural practices?
That's what the Gov was talking about when it came to gill nets, which is why it is not completely banned in Hawaii.

Good Luck on getting the ban through. It is so sad to hear this. I dive up in Puget sound at several Marine Preserves. One has some of the largest Ling Cod around. No fishing except by the native tribes. I know they are allowed by treaty, but it is real had to see the fish they catch.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom