Formerly Seattle, now Japan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello world,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I grew up diving in the Seattle area, back in the early 2000's (if anyone was around then, I'd be interested in tracking down my old dive instructor, he used to work at Underwater Sports in Kirkland). Took quite the break when I left the area, but just moved to Okinawa, Japan, and knocked out nearly 20 dives in the first month I've been here.

Interested in getting up to date on the latest gear (getting tired of the rental scene already) and looking at graduating to nitrox/entry level tech diving at some point.

Appreciate it, and thanks for all the gouge.

Who was your instructor? I got certified here in Seattle in 2005, and I have friends who work for Sports.

Did you check out reef encounters yet? (japan-diver in this forum)

I got my BP/W and regs from him, and you can do tech training with him, too.

And welcome, by the way :)

My instructor was John Pownall Jr., great guy to dive with. My initial certification was 2000/2001, lost touch with him in '04.

I actually went on a Reef Encounters boat dive several weekends ago, unfortunately the Keramas were washed out, so we ended up off of Onna, but the Dream Hole was a serious highlight. Guides were incredibly friendly, great experience. What model of BP/W did you go with?

I've been doing all of my renting out of Tsunami at Hansen, great group of dudes there.

Keramas are nice, but I also enjoyed the dives off the shore.

Manza Dream Hole is nice, yes, found it a lot more interesting than Maeda Blue Cave.

I got a stainless steel backplate and the Travel EXP wing. It's fine with 5mm wetsuit and al-tank, but with 3mm or steel tank (which some shops in Japan use) I think an al-plate would be the better choice for me.

You can (and should) ask them to try out bp/w first before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom