Forgot to hook up inflator - near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are not only different levels of intelligence, there are different types.

One, often mutually exclusive, example is "book smart" vs "street smart"

I will agree with that, but this has to do with retention of information, not common sense/street sense. These people had common sense and academic intelligence. The point is that many people have trouble remembering BWRAF. Not sure if storker is an instructor or not, but I suspect not. Do all people forget BWRAF? No. But a lot do, and they are not idiots. If you haven't been teaching a while, your opinion isn't worth that much on this topic. "Well they SHOULD remember". Should is a dangerous word. There are lots of shoulds in this world.

I will agree with that, but this has to do with retention of information, not common sense/street sense. These people had common sense and academic intelligence. The point is that many people have trouble remembering BWRAF. Not sure if storker is an instructor or not, but I suspect not. Do all people forget BWRAF? No. But a lot do, and they are not idiots. If you haven't been teaching a while, your opinion isn't worth that much on this topic. "Well they SHOULD remember". Should is a dangerous word. There are lots of shoulds in this world.

I agree, some people are terrible with acronyms especially if they dont spell something that makes sense. I did like the BLACKPAW(S) earlier in the thread or actually I think it may have been in a different thread.
BWRAF is useless to me, probably the blackpaws too.

I am a flow type guy, those I can remember.

How did he realise that the hose wasn't connected? Typically you would put a bit of air before entering the water, but the next time you would normally touch the inflator is when you are under, approaching your target depth to get neutral.
Prior to descending on the surface, did you observe each other and give each other the 'thumbs down'?

It was a long, shallow slope where we went in. So yes we did give the thumbs down, but we were standing on the ground when we did it, then ducked under. If I recall correctly his BCD was still inflated from the day before, which is why he wouldn't have filled it.

It was a long, shallow slope where we went in. So yes we did give the thumbs down, but we were standing on the ground when we did it, then ducked under. If I recall correctly his BCD was still inflated from the day before, which is why he wouldn't have filled it.

Are you saying then, that none of the standard checks were done, especially with regard to the inflator? Pull dumps?

If I recall correctly his BCD was still inflated from the day before
Must've been a b*tch to swap tanks with an inflated BCD.

And what @chillyinCanada said. The first letter in BWRAF stands for "BCD check". In my world, that means checking that my BCD inflates, that the inflator dump valve works, that the butt dump valve works and that the butt dump valve string isn't caught in my gear.

Whether I have dived with anyone before I always do a gear check.

If I am with a buddy I don't know it will be a full BWRAF (with demonstration of wing inflation/deflation, weight location and procedure for dumping, release location, test breath on primary reg and octo & how to deploy it. I expect the same from them and won't splash until it is done. It should take at most 2 minutes and I want that certainty if I am trusting my safety to them (or at least part off it).

If I am with a familiar buddy (who I trust), I will do a quick check of my own gear and then do a visual check of theirs with a question "Everything checked? Tank pressure? OK to go?". That is enough to see loose or unfitted (BCD/drysuit) hoses, air off, reg dragging etc.

I've read the entire thread. Excuse me but, I don't understand what makes this incident a near miss. I oral inflate my wing when I use my double hose reg. It's also one of ways I extend my breathing gas. I wouldn't even call it an inconvenience.
IMO the OP needs to re-evaluate their diving practices. Lots of good advise has been posted, IMO the OP should heed it..

I've read the entire thread. Excuse me but, I don't understand what makes this incident a near miss. I oral inflate my wing when I use my double hose reg. It's also one of ways I extend my breathing gas. I wouldn't even call it an inconvenience.
IMO the OP needs to re-evaluate their diving practices. Lots of good advise has been posted, IMO the OP should heed it..

If the OP thought it was a near miss for them based on the circumstances and how they reacted, well it was a near miss for them. It may never happen to you, but the OP was posting about their experience and what they have learnt. They've got some additional advice from others, so it likely this will never happen to them again.
Good for the OP to post with the view to learn from this. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom