Forget the WAR, what about SARS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shanhai

Registered
Reaction score
If you asked me last week about the SARS "epidemic", I would have brushed it off as something you see on the news...but now it's really starting to hit home.

How are things in other parts of SE Asia? I hear Singapore has it pretty bad. A renound underwater photographer, Wilma Tan has already cancelled her Taiwan roadshow until things are under control. I was originally planning a dive trip to Indonesia, but now it looks as if this should be postponed as well.

with the way SARS is spreading throughout parts of Asia and in other areas of the world, and knowing what Thailand and Laos has in the way of medical treatment I think the furthest I'll be heading on holiday any time soon is too Tasmania or New Zealand :(

...not that I can afford to go anywhere else anyway :rolleyes:

how is it effecting you personally in your area?

Perhaps you could expand on this a little.

I was originally planning a dive trip to Indonesia, but now it looks as if this should be postponed as well.

According to the World Health Organization, as of 29 March 2003 (latest data), there are no reported cases of SARS in Indonesia, while there are 10 reported cases in Taiwan, where you seem to be located. If I'm not mistaken, there are direct flights from Taipei to both Denpasar (Bali) and Jakarta, if you are at all concerned about transiting through Singapore or Hong Kong.

So, the way I look at it, this disease is spread by who knows what, and there is a two week incubation period.

As a person residing in an infected area, I think the responsible thing to do is avoid any unnecessary travel until we know 100% how the disease is spread. As far as I know, I might be carrying the virus around. Who knows. I would hate to be the person who causes the disease to spread to other areas only because I wanted to go diving. Luckily, for now, I am quite healthy, and there are plenty of nice divesites around Taiwan to satisfy the diving bug.

On the side, I got to work this morning and our receptionist passed out 3M masks to everybody. Using them is not mandatory, but I just thought it kind of funny. 3M masks were reported as the best defense, and there is a severe shortage....

Has anyone bought 3M stock? I'm haven't checked their price on the stock exchange yet, but I'm sure they're having a great day.

Nothing reported in Thailand.

And BTW, regarding the sly fox's comments, Thailand had excellent medical facilities, particularly where I live. Phuket has several private hospitals and the government hospital is also very good. We are not so backward here!

Hong Kong is dead. You need to put on your masks wherever you go, especially on the plane. I think it is a matter of time this virus go global.

Medical expert said the virus will go away when 80% of the population develop their own antibodies naturally and don't expect a man made antibody in short term.

The effects on economy are even worse than 911; war & the stock crisis.

Hummmmm, sorry Sunrise, I'm sure there are some good quality hospitals in Thailand, I just got worried when I saw the disproportionate number of Thai people who were maimed, or badly effected by injuries that looked like with proper treatment they wouldn't have been a problem, thats all.

air travel. that's the problem. enclosed environment, less-than-ideal air circulation. stuck together for at least 2 hrs. these are ideal conditions for spreading the bug.

otherwise not too much risk on the ground in thailand, philippines, malaysia and other diving places.

K

Have you got any bad news in respect of SARS spreading at Maldives? I am going to go there in 4 weeks by a direct flight from Munich which should be OK.

Thanks

Ivan

Back
Top Bottom