Forget the diving...I want to move there!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Belize is on my short list of places to run away to. In fact it's #1 on my list of places I'd consider moving to, if I was to become a landlubber again.

Just looking for any kind of advice on what it would take to a boat bum on a US flagged vessel to move down there.
Cost of living, recommended locations to stay, any anchoring requirements, or marina costs, etc.

Also, does anyone know what would it take to start up a 6 pack charter (not necessarily diving)?
What are the requirements?

I'm a USCG 50 ton master, with a 34' cat. Changing insurance is no problem, but what are Belize's requirements?

If you could at least point me in the right direction that would much appreciated.

Belize Port Authority - Welcome

Start with these guys.
The cost of living here is pretty high. And the places you'd be mooring a boat are the highest in Belize. San Pedro or Placencia are tourist areas. You could stay in Belize City but why come to Belize to live in a dirty, crowded city?
Not sure what you mean by "6 pack charter" but there is competition here for boat charters. Moorings has a big operation here. I see their boats here off Dangriga.
I've been here for 12 years now after living in the Philippines for 11.

Thanks!

high by what standards, though? I grew up in NJ, lived right by NYC for a while, and now in Miami Beach. All far from cheap places.

6 pack as in whether it's sailing, diving, snorkeling, etc. no more than 6 passengers.

As far as being in Belize as a simple cruiser (vs. any sort of paying chartering), from what I understand things are in a bit of flux right now, with daily fees having been initiated.

When I was there, some years ago, you checked in and I think got 90 days, and then had to check in again for an extension. (Not sure beyond that as I did not stay longer than one extension as hurricane season started.)

Now, from what I understand, there are some pretty hefty fees being charged. Such as (IIRC) $10 per day per person on the boat plus another $10 per day for the boat. I have read that there are fewer cruisers there this year (understandably), and more in the Rio and Honduras.

OTOH, I think the fees may be somewhat "patchy" in terms of who charges and when. In other words, the fees are not now being enforced 100% consistently. One port/captain may charge, whereas another may not. It remains to be seen how this will play out.

I have not been totally keeping up on this, but at any rate it is something to at least be aware of and check into.

I don't know anything about foreigners working or work permits there, as I have never tried that. I also don't know if the 90 day chunks are across the board (if that's even still accurate) in terms of nationalities.

You might check noonsite.com for the sailor/cruiser angle.

As I remember it, "store" things in Belize seemed to be about the same price as in the states, but that is "high" compared to other Central American countries (local fruit and that sort of thing were cheaper though).

WOW!

Sounds to me like Belize is even less boat/cruiser friendly than Florida these days. Hmm...Honduras? Roatan sounds like a nice option too. I'm not really looking to cruise, though, at least not full time, as much as I'm trying to find the ideal spot to make home base down there.

Thanks!

high by what standards, though? I grew up in NJ, lived right by NYC for a while, and now in Miami Beach. All far from cheap places.

6 pack as in whether it's sailing, diving, snorkeling, etc. no more than 6 passengers.

I came here from the Philippines. It's twice the cost to live here. Food here is about the same as the US. A 6 pack (of Belikin) is about $7.50 US.
I'm not sure of all the fees that charter tourist boats pay. But we are getting taxed for everything else. The government is really hard up for money.

Yes, they still haven't finished fitting out their mega estates in Panama.

Yes, they still haven't finished fitting out their mega estates in Panama.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about, Peter? :D

Well that's no more expensive than Miami, but based on the responses I've been getting, looks like USVIs may be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom