Force Fins in Singapore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I recently saw a few divers using the original Force Fins and I thought they were quite nifty! I've been reading up on them (and boy are there a lot of opinions out there!) and the main point I'm getting is that I really need to try it out for a few dives to really get a feel for them before I can judge them.

However, I've never seen the FFs sold in Singapore...which is where I'm based. Anyone know whether there's a local distributor or a semi-nearby distributor? I'm interested in trying the Hockey FFs (which I read are good for frog kick & scull kick - my primary modes of movement). Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I won't be heading back to North America till mid-next year and I would be interested in trying these fins during my next dive trip to Indonesia in Feb.

Thanks!
Lesley

I don't know for sure about availability of Force Fins in Singapore, but I remember in another thread that someone was looking for some there and one shop had a couple of pairs left. Very few shops carry them since they are not a quick mover. Although they have a higher initial cost, the fact that they seem to last forever makes them a good investment. Force Fins has a 30 day refund policy in the states- don't know if that applies to overseas sales.

As far as the Hockey Fins, right now they are only available in XL and XXL. If you wear a women's size 9 and wear heavy soled boots you could probably use the XL with a couple of comfort insoles.

Just so you know - they tend to be addictive - I now own 4 different styles and my wife has 3 - although we each have our favorite (and they are not the same).

Found the other thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/398337-small-foot-force-fin.html

See post #8

Last edited:
Thank you for the link and reply TN. Alas the last post of thread says that there is no longer any stock in Singapore and all orders will have to be made online :(

I'm not sure about whether the 30 day refund policy applies to overseas shipping... but I figure even if they do I'd still have to pay the shipping both ways... which will be a hefty chunk :( Either way, I dropped them an email to check!

For the sizing of the hockey FFs, the shoe size conversion chart suggests an L for me (size 7 with 3mm hard sole booties) - think I could make an XL fit or should I just go with another fin which offers smaller sizes??

My wife wears a size 8 and her fins are all L. She can wear them barefoot with 2 comfort insteps, with 3 mm boots with 1 instep and uses them without anything with a 5 mm hardsole boot. Although I just got her a pair of the Bare 3mm short boots with extra heavy sole (made for shore diving in Bonaire and Curacao) and they are a tight fit with no insteps in the L - something like that might work with an instep and the XL.

What I would be wary of is the foot pocket of the XL might be too wide even with an instep - especially with a 3 mm. If I had a pair of XL I would have her try them to see what would work.

I will admit, I am a tremendous proponent for the Hockey Fins - I've been using them for 2 years (testing) and actually prefer them to my Excellerating Force Fins - because they offer almost as much control at half the price and can also do all types of kicks extremely well (so do the Excellerators). The Hockey Fins offer better initial thrust but the Excellerators offer a higher top end and are actually a easier on the legs for long swims.

Hi, guys! I am also quite interested in making this jump into using force fins. However, I do have a few questions: I have no idea which model to go for. Just to share, my typical dives would involve deploying from dive boats, surface swim to our descent points (Sometimes against currents) about 10 - 20m away. My dives seldom exceed the 30m mark and at times in current. I have been diving for 3yrs now. But I am not sure how to gauge if I have strong enough kicking muscles for the tan delta material. I would also need the fin to conduct surface rescues.

So there's my choke point to which fin I should get. Please share with me some insight and recommendations. Much appreciated! I

FYI, I also hail from the island of Singapore.

Hi, guys! I am also quite interested in making this jump into using force fins. However, I do have a few questions: I have no idea which model to go for. Just to share, my typical dives would involve deploying from dive boats, surface swim to our descent points (Sometimes against currents) about 10 - 20m away. My dives seldom exceed the 30m mark and at times in current. I have been diving for 3yrs now. But I am not sure how to gauge if I have strong enough kicking muscles for the tan delta material. I would also need the fin to conduct surface rescues.

So there's my choke point to which fin I should get. Please share with me some insight and recommendations. Much appreciated! I

FYI, I also hail from the island of Singapore.

I would want to ask a few questions before making any recommendation:

1. What type of fins are you currently diving?
2. What size boot do you wear? Do you use different boots for different conditions? Do you want to be able to use the fins without boots?
3. Do you take pictures or videos where precise positioning is important?

As far as the Tan Delta Material - they are not any harder to kick than the standard material under normal diving conditions but they do provide additional snap and rebound when kicked hard - thus giving you more thrust if you need it.

I would want to ask a few questions before making any recommendation:

1. What type of fins are you currently diving?
2. What size boot do you wear? Do you use different boots for different conditions? Do you want to be able to use the fins without boots?
3. Do you take pictures or videos where precise positioning is important?

As far as the Tan Delta Material - they are not any harder to kick than the standard material under normal diving conditions but they do provide additional snap and rebound when kicked hard - thus giving you more thrust if you need it.

Happy new year, guys btw!!

I currently use a Mares Volo OH, but they are not durable and one side died on me.
Booties I use size 10. Only got one pair of booties. So far been using it in SEA dive site and WA, Australia.
And, nope, do not intend to dive WITHOUT booties. Makes me feel naked.
And, yes, I do take pictures though not the professional type. Just a simple Mju Olympus Tough cam.

My recommendation would be a pair of the Hockey Fins in XXL. They will come with a comfort insert and bungies (if you request them). You may or may not need the insert depending on whether your boots are heavy or medium soles (I wear either a 10 or 11 boot and wear them with the insert or not depending on the boot) I have been using them for almost 2 years and they are fantastic for what you have described. They are easy to kick but have more than enough "oomf" to handle strong currents. They are made of a new material that has more snap and rebound than the originals (and the Tan Deltas) but are softer than the Tan Deltas when kicking slowly. They work with all kicks and are great for positioning for taking pictures/videos. They are not inexpensive but they will last you a lifetime!

Hope that helps.

Dive Safely

Happy new year, guys btw!!

I currently use a Mares Volo OH, but they are not durable and one side died on me.
Booties I use size 10. Only got one pair of booties. So far been using it in SEA dive site and WA, Australia.
And, nope, do not intend to dive WITHOUT booties. Makes me feel naked.
And, yes, I do take pictures though not the professional type. Just a simple Mju Olympus Tough cam.

My recommendation would be a pair of the Hockey Fins in XXL. They will come with a comfort insert and bungies (if you request them). You may or may not need the insert depending on whether your boots are heavy or medium soles (I wear either a 10 or 11 boot and wear them with the insert or not depending on the boot) I have been using them for almost 2 years and they are fantastic for what you have described. They are easy to kick but have more than enough "oomf" to handle strong currents. They are made of a new material that has more snap and rebound than the originals (and the Tan Deltas) but are softer than the Tan Deltas when kicking slowly. They work with all kicks and are great for positioning for taking pictures/videos. They are not inexpensive but they will last you a lifetime!

Hope that helps.

Dive Safely

Hey, TN!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will check out these fins!!

Can't wait!!

Actually these fins are less expensive than any of the Tan Delta Fins and in my opinion with the possible exception of the Excelleraters they outperform the rest of the FFs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom