Force Fin sizing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B 4 U purchase FF talk 2 the manufacturer 4 sizing at (800) 346-7946 and what ever other questions U might have.

Thanks

just so you know, if you were to purchase directly from ForceFin and they don't fit correctly then they will make it right. I have been diving them forever, it you go with the XL you should be just fine.

But if you don't trust me call Blair on monday. I'd be surprised if he doesn't post here before then though.

The force fin is a no-brainer. I believe the main problem with those that dislike them is their inability to adjust to the lack of resistance. I will admit, it does take a while to get used to the feel, but once you reach that point, you'll never go back to a conventional fin.

Now, most sport divers are in the water for an hour at a time, more or less, just taking in the scenery, and most conventional fins will be 'OK' for the challenge of a strong current, but if you find yourself having to really kick for an extended amount of time, you're going to find that the force fins are by far, superior.

The stiff legged kick that most of us are used to is not required while using these fins. You can use a bicycle kick, frog or dolphin kick with a result of excellent forward thrust. Also, making quick turns or spins are much easier as well, as the force fin blades do not have the raised 'edge bracing' you find on almost all other fins. consequently, there is no lateral resistance from the blade while making turns.

I've found that just spreading your toes while kicking seems to contribute to the 'right method'. The first time I did this while kicking, I remember thinking to myself.." Now I know what these fins are all about!"

I know many commercial divers that swear by them. I, as well, feel that they are the best fins available. The navy seals use them, as do many special forces units around the world.

The materials used to mold force fins are top quality and are by no means cheap. This has much to do with their higher price, but it is the superior materials that contribute to the amazing durability they possess. I've had a pair for 15 years and they are as resilient and flexable as they were when I bought them and I've logged thousands of dives since then.

My main use for these fins has been while working as a 'golf ball retriever'. Some of you may think that's an easy job and no real challenge for a fin. Well, I can tell you, nothing could be farther from the truth. 'You' try swimming with 70 pounds of golf balls around your neck, while pulling a floating compressor through thick weeds for the length of a football field. Also, try it for five or six hours at a time....I used to do this on a regular basis and 'then' play with a showband that night, for another four hours. The force fin allowed me to do this 'without' leg cramps or muscle fatigue.

They pack easier than most other fins and are lighter than most other brands. Also, the optional bungie cord heel strap is a must have for those who have experienced the frustration of hasseling with clips and assorted weird release systems you find of other fins.

Another great bonus with these fins, is that I can drive a golf cart while wearing them do to the shorter blade length! I put them on once and leave them on all day, as walking forward in them is a breeze.

Their user support is about the best I've experienced anywhere. I found that Bob Evans, the company's founder and inovative designer, is very accessable to those who have any questions or problems. He's also a great guy just to talk with.

Please, do yourself a favor, fork out the extra cash and get yourself a pair, but use them on a number of dives to get used to them. I have no doubt that if you do, you'll become an avid, force fin fan!

Last edited:
I just changed to force fins. I am a women's 10 and a half boot, ff's are xxl. My bootie has a hard sole. I really put them to the test this weekend, fossil diving in the Cooper River. 4 one hour dives in strong current.... I have crushed my left ankle( still have floating bone fragments and a detached ligament. Pain All the time, but surgery will cut up my diving time... I have no cartilege in either knee. Just broken... These dives should have left me way downstream and unable to walk for a few days.
I had no trouble in teh current and was surprised that I felt like I should be kicking harder, but just didn't need to. You get trained to look for the resistance..... They are kind and really work. I am a believer. I gave my twin jets to my daughter. She can't have my force fins. I'll get her her own pair soon I bet.
And we found 26 whole megalodon teeth!

I just love it when new people try the fins and sure enough they love them.
Thanks for sharing your positive expiriences, with more and more people coming online sharing all their great stories with FF's eventually they will become the norm not the exception.

I bought a pair new. Original Force Fins. Spoke to Vicki. I got size large. I am a 10 medium shoe and use a soft sole 3 mil with a L. I also got the inserts for bare feet. Think I need a sock.

Anyway. Have about 6 dives on them. First dive, I said no way. Realized I was trying to use too much lower leg. Had to get over that. Then, I realized I did not have my foot tucked in the pocket far enough and was clenching my toes.
(I like the tip about spreading the toes.)
So at dives 3 and 4, I start to get the feel. But it was still weird not having resistence. So far I can helicopter no problem, but not very good frog kicking.
Will that come with practice?
Last couple of dives I decided they were keepers. Only thing, I wish they were not negative in the water. But I am making adjustments. I am diving different tanks after 8 years of using my LP 98's. Also using a 1/2 mil suit instead of my 1 mil, or 3 mil or farmer John. A couple new things going on.
I am going to try them with the inserts. The inserts are supposed to make them neutral.

I did use them in a long distance sprint chasing down a punk riding a turtle. They did quite well aginst the turtle.

I love being able to walk with them.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the recount. Your story is not uncommon, in-fact I think it is probably very common for most divers. Its great the you gave them enough time to get used to them and THANKS for chasing down the punk messing with the turtle, I wish people could learn to leave them be.

Yes, insteps will make the fins neutral, but a 3mm boot has is more positive than that. But then again they are only about an ounce negative, its not like Jets that are about 2lbs negative.

for Frog Kicking- well FF's aren't great at frog kicking. but that's ok, since most people that frog kick fall into 1 of 2 categories
1) Cave/penetration divers that need to do it to prevent silting
2) using poorly designed fins that hurt or cramp while fluttering

with FF. you shouldn't have cramping issues and your technique will improve with time and you'll eventually forget why you ever used a frog kick.

Yeah. Dived with a guy last week who has been using them for 20 years he said.
He gave me a few tips.
He said he was on his second pair. Said after 15 years one of his fins had a shear crack. He called FF hoping for a discount on another pair. They sent him a new pair. No charge (Tan Deltas)
I have Jet's and Apollo Bio fins. Love them both, but don't like the weight and buoyancy. These Force Fins may be the magic bullet.
Most of my diving is in the 80 plus range, so I think my 3 booties are compressing to the point that they offer no buoyancy. Certainly more manageable than the Jets and Bios though.
During my 15ft weight checks FF's and my 3 mil boots are almost "too" positive.
I think with the inserts I'll be fine.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom