Force Fin fitting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you already have confirmed that you will need an xl Force fin you may want to check discountdivers.com scuba.com and leisurepro.com in purchasing your force fins. They are authorized dealers so there isn't really anything to lose.

Souvy, one of my best dive shops is in your town. Go see Undersea Divers, you will gain old style service,make new friends with the great staff. Wish I was joining you tomorrow. Give them all our best, and check out Captains Calhoun snokel.:crafty:

Well, I went out with Captain Calhoun yesterday and I really had a blast. I actually took my girlfriend as well since we're going to be doing some boat diving in Cozumel in a few weeks so that she could get her first boat dive in. Captain Calhoun, Chris and the crew were just incredible and it was a real treat getting to talk to Captain Calhoun on the boat. Chris was absolutely amazing with my girlfriend and made her first boat dive unbelievably stress free. So, thank you very much for the recommendation Fin Doctor, much appreciated. Captain Calhoun and Chris also send their regards.

Now, on to the fins :) First off, I'm definitely an XL, so that was nice to definitively determine (thanks again for all the advice on the sizing issue). I was able to try the Extra Force and what I think must have been Force Fin Pros (felt a bit stiffer than my originals). I really liked the Pros and think they would be a great option, especially for travel. I thought the Extras produced a great amount of forward thrust, but they seemed slightly less responsive and stable to me. I did use them without any attachments (e.g. whiskers), so perhaps that was a factor. It was also my first time in open water with force fins, so it could certainly be that as well.

I'm going to head out with the Captain again in a few weeks to give them another try, but so far I've really enjoyed the pros. I would VERY highly recommend that anyone interested in force fins in the area take a trip with Easy Diver, it was a really great time and I can promise that you won't regret it!

Thank you again all, cheers

the Extras are greaet fins but your right, I have found them not to be all that stable without whiskers as well, they are just sooo big they need something to help them track cleanly through the water. It get even worse with the Extra Force Tan Delta.

For you. I have to say, I really think that the Pros may be the best fin out there. Its a basic fin that will do everything that you need it to do, its light and small making it great for travel. Just glad to hear that you enjoyed them. what did your GF think?

Despite the lack of whiskers, I was really quite impressed with the power of the Extra I have to say. If I had to tow a diver, that is definitely one fin I would be very happy to have.

I also think the Pros may be the way to go, but I would like to give the Originals a shot as well before I take the plunge. Like Uncleavi said, they're "wicked" good fins. :)

I have to say that I love my BioFins, but traveling with them is not really practical (nearly 6lbs with the spring straps). I usually travel with my Mares Volo Power fins and I definitely liked the Force Fin Pros a lot more. The Force Fins were great in terms of propulsion and they provided a lot more control as well. Another benefit of them over the Volos is that they are really tough and well made. I'm already on my second pair of Volos (and returning the first pair to Mares was an unbelievably painful process) due to the rubber peeling away from the plastic at the fin tips and it's already happening to my second pair as well (I should mention that I don't abuse my gear by any means) The Volos are decent fins especially considering their light weight, but are way too fragile in my opinion.

My girlfriend didn't try them actually, with it being her first boat dive and her just recently being certified, we thought it might be best for her to try next time. She uses a pair of Atomic splits and they're really quite heavy too. She's up for giving the Force Fins a try when we go back out in a couple of weeks, so she may inherit my L Original Force Fins if she likes them and they fit her. We're taking a dive vacation in a few weeks, so I was thinking if we both went with force fins, we could actually carry on nearly all of our gear which would be great.

I wish that I could carry on most of my gear when I head to FL in a couple of weeks (yeaaaa, I diving again).

Just hope that I can get a couple of dives in between now and then.

Talking about durability, I doubt that you will find a fin that meet the durability of the FF line. It great that you liked the Extras. I quick word about them, from a guy that used them as my primary fin for about 8 years. They can fly, but they are like high gear in a sports car, not that good until you get up to speed, but when you get in the power band... hang on to your shorts... literally. but since its really rare that you will want to go that fast, I don't recommend them to most scuba divers, sticking with the Originals, Pros, TanDeltas, or even the Foils.

If you are leaning towards the Originals, I recommend that you check out the Foils, they may not look like much but I am finding I enjoy them quite a bit. I will say the Pros are noticibly more responsive, but the Foils can go just as fast, with the same number of kick cycles, and I have found I get there with more air in my lungs. Granted, not the most scientific of studies, but it feels like I have more air in my lungs. they are cool and at least warrant trying.

I can definitely see your point about the Extras. Given that I only recreationally dive, I think your recommendation is spot on.

I actually hadn't considered the Foils truth be told, although they do look pretty fun. I'd definitely like to give them a try sometime. I think responsiveness is really what I'm looking for so it seems that the Pros may fit the bill better. So many fins, so little time :) Enjoy Florida meesier42.

I actually had one more quick question. I'm in the final stages of deciding between the pros and the originals and I noticed that on the force fins site, that the originals list snorkeling as a recommended use while the pros do not. I realize that you could use either, but are the originals somehow better suited for snorkeling? Thanks again, cheers.

not really, just that snorkellers really don't need or even want the additional performane of the Pro. The additional stiffness and responsiveness is helpful with scuba gear, but you don't need it for snorkelling. But the Pros will work just fine for surface swimming, but it does take a little bit of modification (to you kick) to keep the fins under the surface. This problem is true for both the Originals and the Pros and is considered a weakness for the FF line. But the real problem is that since the FF line does not strain your hamstrings is just easier to pull them out of the water. you just need to retrain your muscles to keep the fins in the water.

Meesier42...I was reading your post...can you please tell me more about the kick style or modifacation "to your Kick" to keep the fins under the surface? as stated above? I have the pro's and I'm just wonderin what type of kick to use for surface swimmin and underwater kickin..I'm a new at any kickin style...thanks

for snorkelling and surface swimming the issue is that people are used to having to pull the fin up so they can kick down again. with the Power and recovery of the ForceFin design the downstroke moves much more water than the recovery, this is a good thing as it significantly reduces the load on your hamstrings (one of the major muscles that people get cramps in), but this means if you pull up on the recovery the fin will likely come out of the water.

So the modification is to learn not to pull the fin back up, simply allow your leg to relax and you will find it in position to kick down again. This keeps the blade underwater on the recovery and subsequent power stroke.

There is another way, when you want to get somewhere reach out with one arm and shift slightly to one side (only about 45 degrees or your snorkel with go underwater too) and you can keep the fins underwater easier while kicking harder.

Back
Top Bottom