For you Austinites...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So a buddy and I were looking at a map of Austin, and found a spring fed quary between 183 and Mopac, on Braker lane. Supposedly, Pure Austin either owns it or is renting it from UT. So my question, has anyone dove it? I hear there's crap to look at down there, but I'd like to find out if anyone's attempted it. Let me know:

Kevin

Way back in the day, it used to be a party hang out spot for kids in NW austin. I have dove it a couple of time, many, many moons ago. The water was often kinda nasty, and vis sucked except in winter, when would open up a bit if no rain recently. Only plus at time was that people dumped vehicles in it after joy rides, so always chance of coming on a vehicle, and someone else said they had seen some other equipment left from quarry ops, but I only ran across an old truck(maybe from quarry ops) and a lot of trash. Usually a dive there would leave a pretty funky smell that was hard to get out of equipment, so only dove there a couple of times, usually in response to rumours that someone had just dumped a car into it. Now I think they have made kinda a park area out of it there behind those office complexes and the power station near 183 and Braker. Have no idea if anyone still attempts a dive there or whether it would be legal (don't think it really was when we were diving it, just a drive down a 4 by trail to a big hole full of water).

Hey dude, I have dived there. Nothing to see, move along. Vis is really bad. Spent 2 hours in it because we had heard there was a crane down there which hit a spring and that is how it flooded. We did not fine a crane. Depth was around 30 ft.

L

... I drive past it nearly every day and was wondering myself!

Back
Top Bottom