For video lights, spot? flood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I'm just about finished with my DIY cannister light (I think I say that every few months) and was thinking I could use it for my video setup that I bought off ebay. For those that are doing this, what type of bulb are you putting in the lighthead?

I THINK a low watt flood light would be best.... right? I'm new at both the cannister light thing as well as video thing so I'm really just groping around in the dark on this one. (Sorry for the pun.)

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing what others are doing.

Thanks

I find the spot lights create too Hot a spot.

I have limited experience (12 dives with video) but I prefer a flood light. I'm using a 50 watt SOLUX halogen bulb.

Mike D

I've tried both and agree with Mike. The spot creates a hot spot in the center of the beam. A flood looks much better. I'm using 2 50 watt MR-16's and they work very well.

Scott

Do you experience any of that back reflection with a 50 watt bulb? I'm not sure if that's what its called or not. I remember when I purchased some of those disposable 35mm dive cameras that the flash would reflect back from particles in the water.

I guess the best thing is to just get out an experiment though!

It doesn't seem to be as bad as it is with a camera flash. The reason being is that a camera flash is straight on, in other words it originates directly from the camera and the light bounces straight back to the lens. With video lights and camera flashs that are mounted on arms that aim the lights from the side the light isn't bounced straight back to the camera but rather off at an angle to the lens so you don't get the back scatter as bad.

The only thing I was thinking of doing to the video lights is adding a white lens instead of a clear one to defuse the light better and soften it some what. I haven't actually started that project yet as I've already got to many things going as it is but it was something I was planning for the future.

Scott

The trick seems to be to get the light source off to the sides . So there isn't a 180° refection back to the camera lens.

Like telling peope with glasses to look off to the side, so you move the flood light out to the side instead.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom