For those of you who tech or cave dive . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another guy with a vote for Dr. Mel Clark. She did my CCR MOD 1 and my CCR Cave, outstanding every time. Look forward to more time under her tutelage. And she was helpful, inspirational and insightful and I care a lot about those qualities when looking for people to teach me in harsh/deadly enviornments.

Tamara Kendel was a role model for me...as was Heather (chickdiver) and Lesley (runawaylobster). I got to spend some time with Tamara and chose her for my Cave 2 instructor back when she was teaching. She was a dual role model for me because not only did she teach cave diving she also was a tech instructor for quite awhile. ..which meant it was possible to do both. She was amazing in the water. I also like to follow the exploits of Clare Gledhill and Ann Marie (Netherlands).

TSandM and Claudette are also role models, whether you know it or not, for many reasons...one of which is your enthusiam for diving.

Karen

A few names that come to mind as inspirational to me...

Sylvia Earl, Eugenie Clark, Rosalia "zale" Parry, Ann Kristovich, Jolie Bookspan, Mary Ellen Eckhoff, Jill Heinerth, the list goes on... There are quite a few amazing women who set the bar pretty darn high, gender aside...

I vaguely remember reading a book as a girl and seeing pictures of sylvia earl climbing up and down a ladder in scuba tanks so that she would be strong enough to compete in the 'mans world' of oceanographic research (at least thats how i remember the picture/caption)... so when I started tech diving, so i could be as strong as possible, i used to carry my little HP80's up several flights of stairs...

I remember in my late teens/early 20's reading about the exploits of the deep cave diving women and looking at their pictures (they looked pretty normal - not really amazons or anything) thinking... Hey! ...I can do that!

I was lucky enough to get a chance to meet most of the above listed women at one time or another, and when I go back and read about them again, each and every one of them is as inspirational today as they were 20-30 years ago.

Ronnie Damico, Sue Bangasser, Sylvia Earle, Genie Clark, Jolie Bookspan, Caroline Fife, Robin MacFadden (now: Parish), to name a few that deserve mention.

For those who might be looking for a female role model in technical diving and cave diving, check out Cristina Zenato at UNEXSO on Grand Bahama Island. She can teach freediving, train people to feed and wrangle sharks, teach trimix and full cave diving, and she is both a sidemount and rebreather diver as well as working behind and in front of the camera for film, documentary, television and tourism productions.

I'm curious if girls are influenced by fictional heroines much the way boys are in youth? Or, did Hollywood portray too many fictional women as damsels in distress to serve as role models for girls? I'm trying to think of famous fictional divers played by women who weren't the ones being rescued. Laura Croft and the Baywatch lifeguards are the only characters that come to mind who didn't need rescuing. While boys had James Bond, the Bond girls were always getting into trouble. There were characters such as the blonde marine biologist in Flipper, but rarely portrayed as strong, independent, and heroic. However, women have always been accepted as divers in film from Lotte Hass, to Jane Russel in Underwater, to Jacqueline Bisset in The Deep to the women cave divers in The Cave. So, have any of you wanted to grow up to be like some fictional action heroine?

The ranks of the Women Divers Hall of Fame are filled with accomplished divers. Some women aren't recognized, such as Doris Murphy, the president of PDIC, who doesn't want to be part of the Women Divers Hall of Fame because she isn't big on ceremony or attention. As my first scuba instructor, Doris and her husband, Frank, set high standards for training in the PDIC system. Doris was more of a drill instructor and tougher than her husband when it came to skills and performance. She had one of the first television exercise shows in her youth, ran the aquatics program of the YWCA, and had a big influence on many divers and students in the early days of the sport.

All but two of the lifeguard instructors I have had over the years have been women. Every boss I've ever had as a lifeguard has been a woman so from my earliest days as a diver and lifeguard, I've had female role models. The women who trained me as a lifeguard and instructor helped give me the tools and confidence to obtain my current levels of training and career success.

People like Lynne, Marci, and my current girlfriend, Jennifer (NSS-CDS Basic & TDI Advanced Nitrox/Deco), continue to inspire.

But, being a guy, I still like to lead. I don't mind rescuing a damsel in distress from time to time - especially if she's wearing nothing but bikini bottoms and a white T-shirt (Please don't make me feel too old by not getting the humor in that!) ... and, even though I know a woman is capable of opening her own door and carrying her own stage bottle to the water, I might just do those things out of a sense of chivalry.

'Cuz my momma raised me right. As a science and education professor, she was also one of my heroes growing up as well as my biggest supporter. I love you, Mom!

Just thought I'd post here to send some kudos out to some deserving women. Now, that I feel like I've walked into Victoria's Secret, or figured out how to make that little paper toy that girls used to tease us with -- pick a color ... now, pick a number ... you're a jerk! -- by posting in Women's Views, I think I need to go do something very manly like forget it is my girlfriend's birthday. Dang! One post in here and I already remembered! There goes my invitation to the real man's BBQ, tool, truck and tractor show. Sigh! :idk:

Well, I don't mind having a door opened for me . . . or my doubles carried to the car -- so long as we all understand that I CAN do those things for myself if I need to :) (I'm a big fan of chivalry and old-style manners, actually.)

Yet another guy here. The Langevin's made a really good (but poorly advertised) video "Women of Northeast Wreck Diving" send them $20 and a copy is yours: Dive Voyager - Video Productions

-very well worth $20, you get little known info on Evelyn Dudas, June Kieser, Sally Wahrmann, and Deb Whitcraft.

My pick? Evie would kick my a** if it wasn't her....

Has anyone done a similar west coast video?

(Inspirational to me starting, overlooked the whole point of this post)
http://christinayoung.com/pages/scubphot.htm

Last edited:
nah, i'm not inspiring to you, trace. you 'knew me when' - i dove singles & a short hose & a 3mil in dutch! i was so cold!

Yes, Cathy Church and Valerie Taylor and of course I was envious as hell when Sylvia Earl did the JIM suit dive.

On a local level, I have DM'd and AI'd for a female instructor for about 6 years now. She certified both of my sons. I respect her immensely for her knowledge base and skill level. She has taught me how to teach effectively and safely.

My female role models are much closer to home...

One diver who used to dive fairly frequently at my "home" quarry named Stephanie Tuttle....seeing that she was a small woman like myself, yet perfectly capable of diving doubles, was quite a source of inspiration.

Another diver, who is a member of this board, Kelsey (TecXX)....well, if a then 17 year old girl is capable of managing doubles and stage bottles and a drysuit, then by god, so am I! :D

Edit (on a different note: Woot! 5 stars! 1000 posts! Now there is definite proof I spend way too much time on Scubaboard)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom