? for those in the know on booster pumps.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLTEKDIVER:
My friend bought his Booster on Ebay a few month's ago....

P.S. < If you want my friend's tele #, I'm sure he wouldn't mind talking to you, and explaining his set-up., etc, but you'll be really happy once your up and running!

Did he happen to get the same type I did?

I would like that #, if he doesn't mind. PM me.

Thanks.

oxyhacker:
There are many boosters and boosterish devices which cannot be cleaned, such as the Haskel AA-series amplifiers, and the Sprague S-86 series, so if you are going to be using a booster not already set up for O2 for O2 it's a good idea to check before buying to find out if it can be made suitable. A few years ago someone "O2-cleaned" a batch of surplus Haskel amplifiers, and sold them as boosters - several combusted doing a fair amount of damage and injuring at least one person.

The best way to tell if a booster can be cleaned is to check with the manufacturer and find if they make an O2 compatible version of the booster. If they do, then O2 cleaning can usually be done by comparing the parts lists to find out which components (usually just a couple seals and O-rings) are different, and replacing them with the ones from the O2 version, and giving the booster a good "kitchen science" cleaning and relube with O2-safe lubricants.

As far as the boosting itself, all the normal O2 handling precautions must be taken, along with care not to boost the O2 too high in one step, or too fast.

Thanks Vance!

Hey jagfish how's it going !! I think OxyHacker has explained it better then I could have. When He bought the booster of Ebay, the person he bought it from was boosting 02 for a re-breather also, so it was 02 cleaned all ready, as well as used for 02
I do know that he changed some o-ring's etc, and went through it himself , so he didn't go on someone's else's word that it was o2 ready.

As far as filling, I been there when we filled our alum 30's and 40's with pure o2, and as Oxyhacker has mentioned, as long as you fill them slow, and keep them cool, your fine. As far as filling 02, I was concerned as well, as he does fill tank's to 4500 psi with 100% o2, but since my last post, he only is filling now to about 3600 psi, in a tank that's rated to 3442 , So I'm ok with that. Reason why , is we use a transfer whip, and bring the bigger tank 100 cf , filled with 3600 psi 02, and we transfer the 02 into the 13 cf tank's , and we can get a bunch of fills for the re-breather's that way, so we never have to go in for air fills on trip's etc.

It's been working out really well for us, as long as all the usual precaution's are taken for handling pure 02.

Good to see ya, I didn't know you were a SB staff :wink:

FLTEKDIVER:
Hey jagfish how's it going !!
Great , been pretty busy since summer, but things have settled down now. Glad to hear your diving is going smoothly.

FLTEKDIVER:
I think OxyHacker has explained it better then I could have. When He bought the booster of Ebay, the person he bought it from was boosting 02 for a re-breather also, so it was 02 cleaned all ready, as well as used for 02
I do know that he changed some o-ring's etc, and went through it himself , so he didn't go on someone's else's word that it was o2 ready.

As far as filling, I been there when we filled our alum 30's and 40's with pure o2, and as Oxyhacker has mentioned, as long as you fill them slow, and keep them cool, your fine. As far as filling 02, I was concerned as well, as he does fill tank's to 4500 psi with 100% o2, but since my last post, he only is filling now to about 3600 psi, in a tank that's rated to 3442 , So I'm ok with that. Reason why , is we use a transfer whip, and bring the bigger tank 100 cf , filled with 3600 psi 02, and we transfer the 02 into the 13 cf tank's , and we can get a bunch of fills for the re-breather's that way, so we never have to go in for air fills on trip's etc.

It's been working out really well for us, as long as all the usual precaution's are taken for handling pure 02.

Good to see ya, I didn't know you were a SB staff :wink:
Yeah, it's a well-kept secret...

Hey BTW, did you see this suit for O2 boosting on Oxycheq's website:
http://oxycheq.com/Haskel_Photo_1.html

Got it in, looks brand new (on the outside).

I've also contacted the mfr to see if I can get manuals, parts lists, diagrams, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom