For the anti-cattle boat crowd: SunDivers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex777

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If you belong to the cattle-boat hating side of diving and prefer small, high-service dive operators, you really should give SunDivers a try. Their dive boat takes a maximum of 6 (or, in a pinch, 7) divers. With 6, it doesn't feel crowded.

The owner of SunDivers, Ollin Miller, is a Caymanian who first started driving a dive boat for the legendary Bob Soto way back when and has a wealth of experience. SunDivers is one of the oldest Grand Cayman dive ops, but its meticulously-maintained boat looks almost new.

The SunDiver office is now at Turtle Reef, where DiveTech used to be. The boat is kept at the Yacht Club in weather where diving the North Wall is possible, and on the West Side the rest of the time.

I went out in a group of 6 with SunDivers yesterday to the N Wall. Tom Yeo, the boat captain / DM / Instructor, is one of the most experienced instructors on the Island. He set up the gear for those who wanted that (everyone seems to set up your gear for you now).

We left the dock promptly and arrived at Tarpon Alley West some 20 minutes later. This is a wall dive with some interesting coral formations and lots of marine life. Tom led a group while those who wanted to dive on their own were permitted to do that. Here we saw 2 Carribean Reef Sharks engaged in a mating ritual, 3 cruising Eagle Rays, and a couple of large turtles.

The second dive was Black Forest, another wall dive with some spectacular swim-thrus. Here we saw more turtles, a stingray, a large free-swimming green moray, and several large lobsters. Two of the lobsters were out in the open, duelling.

All in all, an excellent small dive op with expert, friendly service.

Thanks for the information. I prefer the smaller boats that take 6-8 divers even though I do dive with the larger ones too. My favorite in Key Largo is BlueWater Divers of Key Largo. Brent and Captain Marvel are the best!

Thanks Alex. I'll be diving with Dive Tech in October, but will keep in mind the 2 dive sites (Tarpon Alley and Black Forest) that you mentioned.

Do you think Dive Tech would go to either of these (or both) upon request?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom