For Sale For Sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you looking for something specific, or everything? I also assume you don't have a local shop. Dive Right In Scuba in Illinois is a supporter, Deep 6 Gear, and Mako Spearguns (more than just Spearguns) are all frequently here. . DRIS has everything and has great Black Friday specials if you can wait that long. Other shops I have used are:
1. Leisurepro-everything and a good website
2. Dive Gear Express-everything, great lights and packages
3. Northeast Scuba Supply-great prices on closeout stuff
4 Piranha Dive Mfg.-lots of hardware
5. Scuba toys- in Dallas and is huge. I think they buy factory closeouts as well as new and will frequently have great specials, especially to piece together a starter kit.

You can spend what ever you want, I bought almost all of my stuff used off Craigslist and Facebook, but you need to know what to look for. Dive shops also sell their rental stuff...usually at the end of the year. There is a learning curve, especially for tanks and regs, but it's doable. It helps to have a friend or your instructor to bounce stuff off of.

There is also the "by once,cry once" camp that says basically go big or go home. Buy the best, spend the money, and you don't have to upgrade later. There is also some truth to that depending on how active you are in the sport and how deep your pockets are.

If there is anything specific you are looking for, let us know, and just like any "best" thread you will get multiple responses from members about their "best" opinion. If you ask about a BCD, you will start another fight regarding backplate/wing vs. jacket type. If you ask about fins, the fight will be regular vs. splits vs. jetfins (and all the copies thereof).

If you are just starting out, you don't really know enough about what you want to know what you want. My advice is Dive everything you can find, beg, borrow, and steal (but return it of course) any gear you can find or rent and find a pool to blow some bubbles in. This especially goes for BCDs because there are so many option and so many variances to those options.

Good luck,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom