?? for IFR pilots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm trying to decode an IFR flight plan and am running into a little trouble. What are the 5 letter abbreviations used in the plan? I suppose they're not VOR beacons. Anyone have an explainer? I know you pilots are out there.

Some sample mystery words:

KENET PEMOB SLANY MALOT CRONO DOTTY TOPPS SEAER MANTA BRIGS

IFR waypoints. Look at a JEPP Plate for examples - especially an approach plate. They're not VOR beacons, but often named after local "things". You'll use them for routing.

PS - They're not abbreviations as I understand it. They're just named that. Not sure why it's 5 letters, but it is. I'm sure there's reasoning behind it but I don't remember.

Yep, as stated by others these are IFR intersections and other waypoints used for navigation and approaches. I can't remember why they use 5 letters, but the names usually can be traced to some local feature or personality, and occasionally just some FAA humor (yes, there is such a thing!) For example, there is an instrument approach that has fixes named (in order) ITAWT, ITAWA, PUDYE, TTATT, and the missed approach point is IDEED. (Read them as words and it will make sense if you're old enough to remember Loony Tunes.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom