For divers contemplating using a long hose configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My observation is that many divers leave their Open-Water training, with their octo & spg dangling, or loosely tucked where it'll fall out. The arm-sweep is vital to know, but ideally something you should never have to do in an emergency. I didn't really know about breakaway clips, retainers, and necklaces until I had more than 50 dives. Having one around your neck, and another clipped to your BCD where you expect 100% of the time is something I never expect to stop, excluding discovering better ways of securing a reg.
Longhose doesn't take much to understand. It's best if someone shows you but it's definitely not necessary to have a "course" on using it.

With a short-hose and regulator under the chin held by a bungee necklace, it's always there and in the same place. The long hose can be donated at any time in the extremely unlikely scenario of an out-of-gas diver.

Forget the technical diving implications of longhose; it's an excellent way to dive recreationally. Safer, easier, tidier, far more natural.

IMHO Longhose should be taught from the beginning of open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom