footware on liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Some boats won't allow ANY type of footwear.

Quite true- usually the ones with fancy urethane sealed wooden decks. This can be an issue for some medical conditions, and such boats should post this on their website... very few do, however.

Crocs, crocs, crocs!! They are awesome. They are non-slip and very comfortable! I work in a busy ER, and I wear them, as do many of our nurses. They are wonderful on boats to! Check them out, you won't be disappointed. I find that the "knock-offs" are not nearly as comfortable, so I will shell out the $30 anyday for mine! There are lots of colors and I think 3 different styles.

RoatanMan:
Quite true- usually the ones with fancy urethane sealed wooden decks. This can be an issue for some medical conditions, and such boats should post this on their website... very few do, however.
It also seems the norm in Thailand. You take your shoes off before you climb on board, and put them back on at the end of the boat ride. At least that's been my experience on dive boats.

I've assumed that this is just an extension of the custom there of removing one's shoes before entering a room of habitation - your hotel room, house, and of course wats (temples).

In the US the rule I always understood is that any shoes worn on boats had to be white (I've a special set of shoes just for boating accasions here).

Doing 5 or 6 dives a day for 6 days, by about day 3 my preferred footwear was Duct Tape.

59215011.DSC02244.jpg

---
Ken

I wear old slippers because I have a thing for smashing/cutting my toes on things.

Keen's are another sandal that has a bit less material than Crocs, but protects those toes.

Teva sandals baby

MoonWrasse:
Open heel fins + booties would mitigate some of your anguish :)

I do dive open heel fins and booties, and I did on this trip.

Open heel fins + lycra socks + booties did mitigate all of my anguish.

Of course, I thought of that well after this trip. Its what I get for being the only Iron Man on the boat (the only person to do ALL available dives.) Small price to pay. Skin grows back.

---
Ken

Just because of you guys, I ordered myself a pair of crocs! :D I've been looking at the cheapo versions for the past few months, but I don't like the vent holes on the tops and how cheap they seem, so when I saw the "professional" crocs, I knew I had found what I wanted. I also ordered the flip flops from them, so we'll see how those are when they get here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom