Food in Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far from Wyndham is the compass point?

Ber Rabbit - funny how many scubadivers get seasick. Your right there is a system you have to follow - saltines are a good idea, I usually bring the big stick pretzels :) AND I definately would stay away from any arby's food before hand LOL any McDonalds breakfast too.

I know this sounds strange, but a while back, my mother and I were in downtown Nassau briefly, hot and tired and grumpy from shopping. We had no idea what we wanted, but we were hungry. Anyway, we found a Greek restaurant, and doing some digging, this appears to be it:

Athena's Cafe & Bar, Nassau - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

We had the nicest lunch there; I think I had a Greek salad and a lemonade. It was perfect for the circumstances. Maybe an odd choice, but we sat upstairs on a little balcony and watched people go by on the street below. I just remember it being very pleasant.

I know this sounds strange, but a while back, my mother and I were in downtown Nassau briefly, hot and tired and grumpy from shopping. We had no idea what we wanted, but we were hungry. Anyway, we found a Greek restaurant, and doing some digging, this appears to be it:

Athena's Cafe & Bar, Nassau - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

We had the nicest lunch there; I think I had a Greek salad and a lemonade. It was perfect for the circumstances. Maybe an odd choice, but we sat upstairs on a little balcony and watched people go by on the street below. I just remember it being very pleasant.

Yumm sounds like a good bet. Is that near Wyndham?

I'm having trouble accessing google earth to get accurate data, i'd guess about 10 miles. it's pretty far west, hence the sun sets. Athena is a great place too but down in town. i'd guess about 10 miles from wyndham.
Easier access via jitney, but still quite a long ways away. best bet is if you've time and budget hire a car and go for a jaunt for a day. there are some great places about down here. especially in the south west where i am. The Sand Bar (traditional Bahamian, mind the sand flies) and the Patio (Cuban, not much for food but great fun on a sunday night!).
Give me a shout when you land. i'll show you guy's about for an evening if you'd like. plus if you have your own gear and want to borrow tanks for a shore dive i can help with that too! i've collected a few!

I'm having trouble accessing google earth to get accurate data, i'd guess about 10 miles. it's pretty far west, hence the sun sets. Athena is a great place too but down in town. i'd guess about 10 miles from wyndham.
Easier access via jitney, but still quite a long ways away. best bet is if you've time and budget hire a car and go for a jaunt for a day. there are some great places about down here. especially in the south west where i am. The Sand Bar (traditional Bahamian, mind the sand flies) and the Patio (Cuban, not much for food but great fun on a sunday night!).
Give me a shout when you land. i'll show you guy's about for an evening if you'd like. plus if you have your own gear and want to borrow tanks for a shore dive i can help with that too! i've collected a few!

Dan,

I was not aware you can dive from the shore. What is there to see. We booked all morning dives with Stuart cove as part of our package but would be interested in possibilities of doing a shore dive.
Jill

Basically you can wade in at Porpoise Pens. (known as Nari Nari at Stuart's), there's a new national trust car park to park/suit up in then about a 500yd slog to get to the rock boat ramp. from the ramp the cesna air plane and the coral area known as the nari nari are about 200 yds of shore. A relaxed but steady 10 minute surface swim puts you at the DC3, from the film into the blue, at the top of the wall. We, (me and whom ever i'm diving with) regularly do this and drop off the wall for some depth, then head back to shore on the last half tank. We were out last thursday night and will be again this week!
We've seen alot of life here after the dive boats have departed for the day. I saw my first ever octopus here just the other week, there is almost always large eagle/sting rays about. More normally barracuda too! The area is still being cleaned up and used to be so secluded it attracted many alternative elements back in the day. Some novel reef material used to be thrown in off the cliff nearby and includes a number of burned out cars and a selection of rusting firarms! I have my self retreaved a small 9mm auto and when i first came snorkelling here three yrs ago, a large shiny sawn off!!
Such elements are things of a bygone age i should tell you. 24Hr security are evident in numbers so there's alot less monkey business at the time of writing.
There's a few of us expats out here that dive here and other places. A few weeks ago four of us jumped into an inland blue hole called Mermaids Pool just down carmichle road from stuart's. It was full of rubbish and viz was a desparate 6'!!! but we do these crazy things.
With a bit of luck i'll get my small boat going in the next few weeks, this will open up a wide range of sites. There are some great sites close to shore but inaccessable by swim. E.G. the Light house reef. a man made break water riddled with fish just on the far side of the harbour mouth. 30 seconds on a boat from the ramp at Arrawack cay but you couldn't swim it for fear of boat traffic!
I digress, my point is that there's loads of places to shore dive, with a little imagination. What kills it is there's no one wanting to hire you tanks/lead. If you fancy a lend of some, drop me a line when you get here. (No fee, but no insurance either! Tanks are in date and tested though)
Lemme know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom