Follow up to my post Re: Turks & Caicos? Provo Dive Ops. Simply "of interest"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I dived with Caicos Adventures - Fifi - early December. Conditions: good not great. A bit of chop, some diminished clarity yada, blah, etc. First few days saw few divers on the boat, which was great of course. Later in the week, the boat filled up, then the dive crew simply divvied up the divers into equal groups and sent each group off with a dive master. No one asked the experience level of the divers within each group. Problem was my group consisted of very inexperienced divers and several "love bird" couples who were busy holding hands rather than concentrating on having a fun, extended time and challenging dive. Basically I spent 15 minutes - wasting air - sitting on my "tuchus" 40 ft down at the anchor waiting and watching as several newly minted divers struggled to descend. When we finally started out to the wall, 20 minutes had passed and because many divers were new, they went through their air so quickly that ultimately we had 5 minutes on the wall, then we turned back. Many of the "love bird" couples spent most of their time gazing into each others eyes as they meandered romantically toward the edge of the wall, yet never managed to get down along side of it. It was a very disappointing dive experience that could have been easily avoided with a little thought by the managing Dive master.

I fully understand the difference between the comfort level of an experienced diver and an inexperienced diver. I was once inexperienced too of course. They should never be pushed beyond their level of comfort for many reasons, safety being the most obvious. But I am a paying "tourist" too and I my vacation/dive time is short and therefore valuable. I travel to places like T & C for spectacular, challenging wall dives... not to be baby sitting beginners... that is for the paid staff. A simple analogy: You are an experienced snow skier. You save for your annual ski vacation to Aspen. You get on the lift to the top of the mountain with the best triple diamond ski runs. At the end of the lift, the ski instructor sends you back down the mountain on the bunny hill with a group of beginners.

The managing dive master should ask about the experience level and dive goals of divers before separating them into groups. It would take a minute or two of extra planning but then the divers would be diving with other divers with whom they were most comfortable. Next time I will be more forthright about my experience level and what I want to see/accomplish on a dive. Perhaps a smaller boat with a smaller group would be the ticket.

Man, do a liveaboard next trip. You will never go back! It is night and day the difference! Especially in the Caribbean where the boats just open the gate and say - have a nice dive, be back by XX time for meal, etc. Usually you can do 2 dives of over an hour at each site, no DM to hustle you along, no other divers to wait on... you and your buddy just decide which way you are going and jump in. The freedom of diving on a liveaboard is what diving is all about. :D

robin:D

Hey Robin not sure which liveaboards are in T&C which have you been on there? Starting to look for my next trip and land based doesn't sound great there.
Thanks.

Man, do a liveaboard next trip. You will never go back! It is night and day the difference! Especially in the Caribbean where the boats just open the gate and say - have a nice dive, be back by XX time for meal, etc. Usually you can do 2 dives of over an hour at each site, no DM to hustle you along, no other divers to wait on... you and your buddy just decide which way you are going and jump in. The freedom of diving on a liveaboard is what diving is all about. :D

robin:D

I don't have any other T&C experiences to compare it with but I had a great time on the T&C Aggressor II last October.

I have been to T & C / Provo twice and only have been land-based. I have had good experiences both times save for my last day or so of diving as described above. Provo Divers, Turtles and Caicos Adventures all seem to do a good job but occasionally one will always be disappointed. I simply wrote my message as a "heads up" warning for those who dive without a partner and on boats with a relatively large number of divers.

My suggestion is to always insist on partnering up with a diver or group that shares your experience level and similar dive goals.

Hey Robin not sure which liveaboards are in T&C which have you been on there? Starting to look for my next trip and land based doesn't sound great there.
Thanks.

there are two liveaboards in T&C, both get great reviews, the only difference is price.
T&C Aggressor.........Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984
T&C Explorer............Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

they do exactly the same dives except that the Aggressor does whale watching snorkel tours in early spring, no diving on those trips. There is a great trip report here: Saudio's Trip Reports for the Explorer

I have not done this trip yet but it is on my todo list for 2009. The idea of 4-5 dives per day of spectacular walls and sharks.........aaahhhhh! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom