Follow the fumblings of a ten thumbed rookie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, Thanks so much. I'll see how it comes out....BTW, This a GREAT Board! Thanks Y'all...

So I did my first dive with the new camera this evening. Kinda murkey. Tried some great shots but I think I have mostly pics of water where fish used to be. The delay from pushing the button to flash takes forever it seems. Is this normal? Going again tomorrrow night for a manta dive. I'll try it again then....Also, it's pretty hard to see the screen, is this normal too?

Wildcard:
So I did my first dive with the new camera this evening. Kinda murkey. Tried some great shots but I think I have mostly pics of water where fish used to be. The delay from pushing the button to flash takes forever it seems. Is this normal? Going again tomorrrow night for a manta dive. I'll try it again then....Also, it's pretty hard to see the screen, is this normal too?
Your comment about empty water and fish butts is pretty common to digital photographers. Couple things you can do to help.

First of all, See if the camera can be set to full time autofocus, as opposed to focusing only once when you begin to push the shutter button down. While this will add a very small amount of drain to your batteries, unless you have really crappy batteries you will not notice any difference in longevity. What changing this setting does is keeps the camera refocusing all the time your finger is half way down on the shutter release. That means that the focus delay will be minimized or eliminated once you choose to take the shot by pressing the rest of the way down, and all you have left is the CCD Charge Delay which although noticeable should be acceptable.

Second, learn to pan with your subjects, if they are moving left to right move (pan) the camera with them untill AFTER the strobe flashes. Why after? Because people tend to stop the camera just as they shoot the shot, and sometimes the subject swims out of the shot or at least out of the fraiming you wanted in that moment of stillness.

You asked earlier what strobe I use, well I use a YS-90DX strobe. Check out my post on another thread area on the board to get an idea of why and how I rig my stuff.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t55657.html

Best of luck
Matt

Thanks. I was shooting the fish by panning, like with a shotgun, seemed to help some. I need to print up the big book of instructions to find out about the auto focus thing. Thanks again for everyones help.

Dohhhh! Im such a dumbass sometimes. The case came with the little hood for the monitor attached so I never screwed with it. Looking at my pics just now, I notice some bubbles. Upon closer examination, THERES A PLACTIC SCRATCH STICKER ON IT! Much clearer now! LOL...Some real decent shots too. Yee Hawww!
Now I need night tips. The coral is supposed to spawn tonight, lots of Mantas waiting. Could be real good.

Hi

I had the same problem and got some advice on a forum somewhere .Try using the manual focus setting on your camera - set it to infinity and test it on land first . Most objects farther than 1.5m will appear in focus . This reduces shutter lag considerably , I have used it above water to good effect . Will try it over the coming weekend U/W.

I will try and find the link to the more technical explanation of this technique for you .

Safe Diving

Andrew

Thanks, ill try that....Next question, soft ware question. How do I get teh pics out of the file in the Oly camera file? It keeps grabing the whole file, not just the one I want. I got a couple of good ones Id like to share.

Wildcard:
Thanks, ill try that....Next question, soft ware question. How do I get teh pics out of the file in the Oly camera file? It keeps grabing the whole file, not just the one I want. I got a couple of good ones Id like to share.
If I understand you right all you have to do is open the file and click on the individual photo.....

I'll start from scratch.....

Whether you use a card reader or download directly from your camera, either one will show up as a removeable drive in your file manager. I 'copy all' to highlight them all and drag them to a file on my hard drive. Now you have all your originals in your computer and can delete them all from your cameras memory card.

From there, double click on the pic you want and it should open in the program you have designated for that.

Thanks, let me try.

Back
Top Bottom