folding marks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I've just returned from a flight to Miami.
I've packed my wetsuit Henderson Neoprene 5 mm shortie in my luggage.
After unpacking at home the trunk was so pressed during the flight that was easy to open.
The wetsuit has now notorious marks of folding and compression.
I've rinsed it completelly, but it seems that the folding and compression marks are not going away.
Is there a way to make those marks go ?

Attachments

• IMG_6266.jpg
    IMG_6266.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 289
Try just leaving it hang for a few days. My dad taught me years ago that the worst way to pack clothes of any kind was to fold them. Rolling them works better. Takes less room, less wrinkles, and easier to distribute. I use the same advice for wetsuits and my drysuit.

That may very well be permanent damage. A good way to pack a suit is to pull the limbs into themselves and then tuck and roll it into the top of the load. Be careful not to have any hard items that can make an impression.

I was careless with a 3mm suit years ago and at best it bounced back 50%. If you did deep you can find me asking a similar question circa 2006!

Pete

Try just leaving it hang for a few days. My dad taught me years ago that the worst way to pack clothes of any kind was to fold them. Rolling them works better. Takes less room, less wrinkles, and easier to distribute. I use the same advice for wetsuits and my drysuit.

Nice advice. I will follow next time.

permanent damage ?
Probably. But not of much consequence. It just means that you will have a bit less insulation right at that crease mark. Unfortunately, most of my wetsuits have those marks.

They will eventually go away, but only once you have done so many dives that the rest of the wetsuit is similarly compressed. :D

Look at the bright side..... you now have some "wear indicators" on your wetsuit that are equivalent to the tread wear marks on your tires. When the rest of the wetsuit gets compressed like the fold marks, it's way past time for getting a new wetsuit.

Jim's got it spot on. I lay my wetsuit on a towel and the roll it up, works well. Also get heavy weight/pressure off the suit.

If I get lines in my suit I usually re-wet it and hang to dry. Lines come right out.

After several weeks the compression marks disappeared. The biggest folding mark is still visible though much smaller than before.

Back
Top Bottom