Fogging in your camera can be an easy fix!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently we have had a lot of humidity in CA. We noticed we were getting some fogging in our camera case, I am thinking that we were locking in this moisture. The only difference is that my wife camera would fog up and not mine. All I could determine is that she was making condensation by filming facing toward the sun on the surface before we descended.

One thing we did was to put in small piece of tissue paper on the bottom of the camera case and this has seemed to prevent the fogging from reoccurring.

Has anybody else had to deal with fogging in your camera case?

Also wanted to remind you to always put your name and phone contact either on the case inside of course or on the Go Pro, there are a lot of good people out out there who would do the right thing and contact the owner!

Frank G
www.zgearin.com

I use a moisture absorbent card inside the case. It also helps if you have a fan or air conditioner in your room to hold the casing in front of air flow for about A minute. This flushes out moisture. Then immediately put the camera in and shut the casing. When you get in the boat put the camera in the camera tank, should be one on board with ambient water until your ready for entry. I've never had fogging issues using these steps.

I have a little Cacon S110, the battery just lasts for a maximum.of two dives. I found that I had been getting droplets of water in when I changed the battery on a day trip. Now I am super careful doing this and hey no fogging. I also check the O ring very very carefully.

i tried to use tissue inside my camera before, this is helpful.
i also tried on my GoPro, water get inside the housing because this small piece tissue stick on the O ring. this is very dangerous. the housing is too small, quite difficult to put the tissue inside. i never do it again.

I try to only open the case in the air-conditioning of the hotel or cabin to limit the amount of trapped humidity.

Also wanted to remind you to always put your name and phone contact either on the case inside of course or on the Go Pro, there are a lot of good people out out there who would do the right thing and contact the owner!
If your dive travels are international but your phone plan isn't, list an email address. Wi-fi and internet are fairly easy to access internationally.

I blow a bit of the super dry air from the Scuba tank into the housing as I close it. I carry a small air nozzle with the same QD (Quick Disconnect) as my BC and drysuit hoses. Just be careful not to blow the O-ring out of its groove.

I usually start with the nozzle blowing into the lens port and back it out as I close the back. The idea was “borrowed” from deep submersible and ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) technicians that have purged housings with pure nitrogen since the 1960s.

i tried to use tissue inside my camera before, this is helpful.
i also tried on my GoPro, water get inside the housing because this small piece tissue stick on the O ring. this is very dangerous. the housing is too small, quite difficult to put the tissue inside. i never do it again.

I haven't had that happen to me yet. But perhaps I was lucky. It is is important to mention that one should be careful to insure that the small tissue does not get stuck to o ring or impede proper closing of camera case.

I need to check on Thook suggestion of moisture card this sounds like a great alternative, being that the tissue can be a bit flimsy or even break to create a possible case breach.

I bought the little desiccant pads and stick one in for each dive. They can be used multiple times and recharged in an oven. The "condensation" may not be that at all. You might want to give it a taste and make sure you don't have a leak.

Ditto on the moisture absorbent card. I use blotting paper. An unlaminated heavy card stock works too. Cut small squares and slide them into the casing spaces. Change between dives and dispose. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom