Focusable beam & adjustable brightness…under $100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jahmes143

New
Reaction score
I mainly dive in clear waters (Florida Keys), but sometimes dive in “murky” water. I’m looking for a light that isn’t too bright or narrow beamed for clear water, but that will also punch through murky water. A light with an adjustable brightness (high, low) and that is focusable (wide beam for clear water, narrow for murky water) would seem do the trick. I’m considering the Big Blue 250M (250 lumens, focusable beam), but I’m thinking it wouldn’t be bright enough for murky waters. To top it off, I really want to keep it under $100…and I’m trying to avoid buying multiple lights. The Big Blue CF900 is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's $215 :(

1. Adjustable brightness: ranging from maybe 150 lumens to 600+ lumens??
2. Focusable beam: narrow or wide
3. Price: under $100

Any suggestions?

I don't buy anything under 1000 lumens but to have a powerful, waterproof, focusable, variable brightness light for cheap.... Is a trillion dollar invention. It would be the holy grail of all things light.

EDIT: Some tight beam lights have flip diffusers... Not a favorable option but it could work.

Intova's WA Zoom light has a 300lumen beam that can go from wide to narrow. You can also unscrew the focus head to make a video flood light.
Costs around $90. The switch has to be rinsed pretty carefully. Soaked in fresh warm water, manipulated, then rinsed under running fresh water. Otherwise it gets a bit stiff.

Doesn't have adjustable brightness though and it takes CR 123 batteries. I've solved the latter problem by buying Surefire packs of 12 from the Surefire website. Saves you quite a bit.

XTAR makes dive lights with continuously adjustable brightness and rechargeable batteries. For example check out their D06 light. But they're not focusable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom