Focus lights and hot-spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SimonJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Was wondering if I should add a focus light for my camera, as I tend to find that it is not all that good at focusing. I have tried using one when night diving, but did not really have the strobe setup right, so the photos weren't great anyway. What I was wondering is whether people think using a focus light is a good idea and whether the light causes a hot-spot in the photo?

Any advice much appreciated.

The answer is yes, it will show in your photo.
Try and set up a small dive light that you can turn away or turn off, whichever is easier, from your subject before taking the picture. This will require you to push the shutter half way down to focus, tilt or turn off the dive light, then press the shutter all the way down.
I was doing that before I purchased my Inon strobe which has a built in focus light that turns off automatically when the strobe fires. It was one of the major features of that strobe that led me to buy it.
I see you have a strobe and perhaps someone will respond that has set up a focus light with their setup.

One of the guys at DDN who made a dozen beautiful 5050 custom trays last year put the light on the bottom of the tray so you could reach it with your left hand and either simply cover it with your hand or turn it off.

The hot spot is a definite problem. Laser lights don't often help as you get the red spot in your image as a result.

Back
Top Bottom