Flying with your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving twice since 911, and, although I pack in a small shoulder bag and 22-inch wheelie,I checked the wheelie both times because it carried pocketknife, nail file, etc.

From what I read and have heard, security is inconsistent - regulators rejected as dangerous weapons, regulators passing with out problems, etc. For example, in October I got as far as Grand Cayman before a nail file and clipper were confiscated at security.

I'm headed to Fiji in July and would like to go all-carryon, but I suspect my reef hook (needed there), won't pass examination as a few personal things I like to have with me will not. On the other hand, maybe I'll mail that stuff ahead.

The line moved at about half speed at DFW. The usual questions at the ticket counter, but at the xray machines, there was a long line. They checked bags carefully, and made about 1 out of 20 passengers remove their shoes, which were rubbed with a cloth which was then put in an analyzer to check for explosives. Plan about 2 hours at your airport.
Coming back, our bags were pretty much unpacked by the Mexican Security persons. They took one little tank marker light apart about 4 times, and dumped the batteries back in the bag. They told my wife to put her Zippo in her checked baggage, and stole my Bic Razor which I already knew I couldn't have but had accidently tossed into my carry on that morning. They paid little attention to my regulators, some light sticks, and other dive items.

I was checked at the check in counter, going through the x rays, and immediately before getting on the plane at the counter where boarding passes are torn. Each time, my little marker light was taken apart. There was a pile of nail clippers at the xray machines. Bags were given far more than the cursory examination usually given, if even that much attention is paid. Again, plan about 2 hours from arriving at the door to getting on the plane.

Coming in U.S. Customs and Immigration was quick and no more thorough than before.

My team just returned from a Biathlon (skis & rifles) race in Minnesota and had no problems. As far as I can tell nothing has changed except for the carry on. No sharpes or anything that may resemble a weapon, except the plastic knife that is given out at the Subway Sandwich after the security screen. One of our guys left some ammo in his bag, which the xray picks up quite nicely, but the security folks didn't get excited, just took the rounds.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom