Flying with camera...."the best way"...what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking for experience related advice on this...who has tried carrying their SLR with camera inside on a flight? Sandra and I have to do some shooting in the Bahamas...Neither of us wants to trust the baggage handlers or TSA staffs with our camera gear in suitcases or ... camera cases like our big pelicans..( which could almost be said to be "Steal me signs" to the people that would do this).

For continental airlines, does anyone know if they would let you take the housed camera ( minus the strobes) as a carry on, that could be put on the floor in front of your feet ( pretty sure Sandra's Sea & Sea housing for Canon 5d is small enough to fit easily.....My aquatica for canon 5 d is slightly bigger, but I think it is worth a shot to try). Each of us have the neoprene dome port covers for protection against scratches--and having the camera at your feet and under the seat is clearly not an ideal place, but the neoprene cover should do the job for the only delicate part of the system..

Thoughts? Experinces? Other solutions?

Well, I use a "Think Tank" brand carry-on bag that is designed for camera gear. It carries my Nikon D90, housing, two ports(flat and dome), Ikelite DS125 strobe, and all the associated peripherals like chargers, manuals, memory cards, etc. It doesn't fit under the seat, but it does in the overhead.
The drawback is that it's kind of pricey. It's really nice, though.

We use an Akona bag designed for camera gear and it fits in the overhead bin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carry it on.

Once upon a time I made a living with cameras, and I would put my housings in Hardigg cases. Even back then, my camera bodies & lenses would not part my side, and be carry-on in a regular old camera bag.

Today, unless it's a paid gig and somebody else is paying the bill, I wouldn't do that (check the housings) because of the spectacular baggage fees.

If I was in your shoes my first choice would be a Think Tank Airport Acceleration bag. If this is kinda a one time deal, I'd find a backpack, wrap my housing up in a beach towel to pad it inside the backpack, and carry it on. The TSA will get excited but a patient voice will get you through unscathed, even if you're flying out of MIA where the TSA is not one of my favorites (PBI & FLL, however, I love).

You didn't mention whom your carrier will be; be aware if you select a largish bag, such as a standard carry-on, if you fly on a RJ or turboprop they will have you drop off the bag at the aircraft. Thence to get thrashed as they toss it around in the cargo hold. So make sure what you're carrying on will be small enough to fit under a RJ sized seat.

All the best, James

I carry my camera and strobes in a Pelican case. I have never had a problem getting it through security. Almost all of my flying is on Continental through Newark.

Standard carry-on / roller, - Housing, body, dome, strobes, arms, peripherals, ALWAYS carry on. The "key ingredient" ? T-shirts, Socks and underwear ! Wrap all your gear up, and you will be fine. While Thinktanks are nice, they ARE pricey, and single use/purpose. Not to mention, I'm usually able to stick my reg in there, too. And in your backpack, goes the laptop, and "camera stuff overflow". Of late I've been using the Aqualung Departure carry on/scuba roller. Perfect dimensions, slightly deeper than most standard carry on luggage, and works great. The irony with this bag, is they are expensive too. I actually picked one up earlier this year at the Long Beach Scuba show for $50.00 Now I see them "on sale" for around $139 to $170. At that price, not worth it. Hence a standard roller/carry-on, will suffice.

Just review the airlines specific allowables. Most include one carry-on and one personal item which can be a camera bag. Both are subject to size limitations that vary slightly by airline. As fdog noted however, expect to part with the carry-on if you get on a small commuter plane. Expect to part with the personal item when the plane drops down to an 8-seater but there you can watch as it is stowed.

TSA has only given me flak in two areas. They always make me open up the Inon lenses as they are so dense they can't scan through them (understandable) and the one time I wrapped all my gear up in socks and T-shirts they literally picked everything apart. The scanner sees the clothing as organic matter and with the number of batteries, wires, and organic matter I had mashed up all in one bundle, that raised flags. The watch didn't help much as they consider that a timing device. Since then, I separate all batteries into one baggie and wires into another and pull them out separate prior to sending it all through the scanner. TSA has never taken issue with my strobes.

I was at Reef Photo the other day. I asked them how they handle it. Some of the people there travel often, trade shows, classes and the like. They said to always carry it on. I picked up a dedicated camera bag for the purpose that was big enough for my camera gear, scuba computer, regulators also. I anticipate that the TSA will have to examine the thing usually, but that is no big deal.

I carry on camera bodies and lens. Pelican case for everything else (strobes, arms, housings)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom