Flying Gurnard at Kewalo pipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, three of us went out and did a great shore dive at the pipe today. We were all suprised to see a new fish we had never seen (one of my buddies is a reef tank expert and the other has a saltwater aquarium). We got back and Terry found it in his book, a Flying Gurnard. This thing was cool I have linked a picture, but have lots of video of it as well as pics I will get up soon.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fishcareindex/l/blpickgurnard.htm

The whales were also out and I got some great video of a huge moray eel as well a little tako swimming around. All in all a great day, good viz, light surf and no surge or current.

Lucky you :D...can't wait to log a couple of dives with my camera this week...It's been almost a year since I took the big camera out...

Yep, another great dive! We only did one today (dang spouses...just kidding honey!!) but it was a good one. Here are some pics of the freaky fishy.

Ed

651788346108_0_ALB.jpg

851788346108_0_ALB.jpg

161788346108_0_ALB.jpg

Here is Terry getting attacked by a bunch of Damsel fish.

561788346108_0_ALB.jpg

Very cool! I've only seen one since I've been diving here.

Are these freeze frames or camera pictures?

I spotted the same fish out there (or at least it looks the same), wasn't sure what it was. Here's my pic of it:

l_c37cdc29a3984a0bba948f5043cbafd9.jpg

I forgot to MWB my cam, so it's a little blue...

BTW, I think I might've spotted your float out there. Both Sat/Sun @ the pipe I saw a 1' round tube with a dive flag poking up. Never saw who it was underwater though. But I did run into the Dive Oahu group training some more OW students on Sunday.

itch808:
I spotted the same fish out there (or at least it looks the same), wasn't sure what it was. Here's my pic of it:

l_c37cdc29a3984a0bba948f5043cbafd9.jpg

I forgot to MWB my cam, so it's a little blue...

BTW, I think I might've spotted your float out there. Both Sat/Sun @ the pipe I saw a 1' round tube with a dive flag poking up. Never saw who it was underwater though. But I did run into the Dive Oahu group training some more OW students on Sunday.

Well, if they are like other animals then you saw the same one. The spots match the ones in my pic.

We were only out there on Saturday morning and were out of the water and gone by 0930, we got there real early. We also didn't see any other divers except for the Kahala Kai (spelling??), pulling up to dive Horseshoe reef for their second dive, when we were showering off.

Spotted one at airport beach today. Second time I've seen one at this site. About 14" long and a "wingspan" of about 18" really cool fish to watch.

Here's one of the pics I got today of it. It hung around us and wasn't frightened away at all.

flyingg.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom