Flying from Cozumel MX to Belize city

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was thinking it may be a possibility to fly with tropic air of one of the other small prop plane from Cozumel to Belize city. I heard that there is a company that does this.

1. whats the cost one way from Cozumel to Belize city?
2. How long is the flight time?
3. I would have two nights three days in Cozumel and could get a dive day in and suggestion in this regard on who to dive with and where to stay relative to the proximity to the airport would probably make best sense.

Thanks, please advise!

man you weren't kidding. expensive is right. looks like tropic air is the only one doing non stop from cozumel. yikes! ok so much for that Idea.

I looked into that last year when we were stopping off in Mexico City to visit family before making our way to Placencia. There are no flights directly from MX City to BZ City, so I thought I'd check out MX City to Cancun to BZ City. Yikes!

Ended up being cheaper to fly from MX City to San Salvador, El Salvador then onto BZ City. So we spent a couple of days in El Salvador, which was interesting and worth seeing, once.

Thanks everyone... as much as I would have liked to go to belize, not only is it much more difficult to get to its also more expensive. seems like belize does not want tourists with its excessive tax and high prices.

Thanks everyone... as much as I would have liked to go to belize, not only is it much more difficult to get to its also more expensive. seems like belize does not want tourists with its excessive tax and high prices.

What's your total trip length?

Last year we did a Cozumel/Belize split trip, staying 4 nights in Coz and 4 nights on Caye Caulker. I posted a detailed trip report with prices in this forum.
Trip Report - Caye Caulker, Belize

Short story, the transfer was a long day of busses, ferries, and taxis that was kinda fun in it's own perverse way but maybe not for everyone. Cost about $100 each. Left Coz at 7am, checked in at 6pm, having dinner and cold beer by 7pm. Stayed at a small quaint hotel for $65/nt and dived with Black Durgon Dives for $90/trip. Most meals ran $10-15 per entree.

I found Belize to be only slightly more expensive than Coz, equal or less than other Caribbean destinations. Keep in mind that Coz is about the lowest price destination in the Caribbean. You don't have the dirt-cheap options (i.e. $40/nt Colonial Suites or $5/meal El Pique or $65/trip with DWM) but it is not much higher than what many spend in Cozumel.

@ReefHound what you say may be true for caye caulker and maybe ambegris caye and glovers but pretty much all of the other atolls are super expensive because of cost to get to them and resort costs and suoer high taxes. Having now priced bother cozumel and belize i can tell you that even caye caulker is expensive due to the higher cost and excessive time needed to get to it. I pretty much scraped the idea of belize this year... dont get me wrong i would spend $3200 for a week if i felt like i was getting my moneys worth. Diving i am sure is amazing out in lighthouse but the accomodations and high tax just killed it for me. Listed at 1850 for eco accomodations is high as it is but pyung an additional 31.5% tax higher transfer costs... higher flights... put the whole trip overboard at 3200.

I just booked cozumel which IMHO os better than the diving off of ambergris. For vids i saw.

Your expectations are unreasonable, not even apples to oranges, more like apples to peanuts. Cozumel is a mainstream destination with modern infrastructure, hundreds of thousands of tourists, hundreds of dining and lodging options, and dozens of dive ops. The outlying atolls are remote islands, many privately owned, with no govt infrastructure and a few dozen tourists at any given time. To say that "Belize does not want tourists" is silly, as if Belize moved the atolls far offshore and made them small on purpose. What 31.5% tax are you talking about?

A more apt comparison would be Cozumel to Ambergris, even then Ambergris is a fraction of the size of Cozumel in both visitors, businesses, and infrastructure. I know what Caye Caulker costs, I've been there and listed prices in my trip report. As I said, you can find lower end prices in Coz if you're on a shoestring budget but the prices are similar to what many pay in Coz.

The diving is quite different. Cozumel has mountainous coral reefs while Ambergris is finger and groove formations. Cozumel is drift diving while Ambergris is not. I like Cozumel a bit better but I also like variety and I saw more nurse sharks in Ambergris on a single dive (several times) than I've seen in Cozumel in 100 dives.

The lowest cost way to get to Belize from Cancun is by ADO bus. I have never used this but I have been told the buses are very nice (nicer than ones in the US) and it travels at night so you save a hotel room for one night.

ADO Belize Mexico Bus Schedule

I did this, though in the reverse direction. I hadn't chimed in on this thread because the OP asked about flying. The ADO bus network is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom