Flower Gardens Trip Proposal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Guys and Gals,

I would love to do a big group trip again. It would be so much more fun on a boat of people I know.

We have a couple options. We could talk to a couple dive shops and get one to book the whole boat for us and we fill it.

We could go for a half boat (16 spots).

If we are going to do it we need to pick a couple weekends NOW.

We will need earnest money. If we go the whole boat route, and we don't fill it we can let them know 30 days in advance and release the spots. We won't be stuck for the whole thing. Full payment is due 30 days ahead.

I also learned trips are cancelled with forcast 6' waves and/or 20 knot winds.

I think we could do it. We just need to talk to a few shops to get the support. We MAY be able to negotiate a reduced rate with the shop for booking the whole boat. I know what the wholesale per/diver rate is.

What do you think?

TwoBit

Next trip leaves monday, the 11th, for 5 days with slots still open if anyone is interested. It was set up thru Tom's in Austin.

I'd definately be interested in a SB trip with Gulf Diving (Nitrox is the best way to go). You might want to start with a poll to see what folks might be interested in. 2 day, 3 day or more and month for starters. June, July, & August seem to be the time to go to avoid weather cancellations.

D2D has had a hard time filling their slots for a couple years now so I would be careful about trying to book the whole boat for a reduced rate. May end up costing more than the potential savings.

After my trip - I'm pretty charged to do it again, but in a little while when my budget and/or home leash recovers.

In the meantime, I booked through RKon Divers and Richard is a personal friend [In addition to having signed a couple of my c-cards!] - - He had trouble filling his consignment for the trip I was on - so I would think if we plan decently ahead, he can hold places for a reasonable number of us.

When we get close to a decision, I'll be glad to ask!

Our LDS usually books flower gardens trips with the Sea Searcher II

They normally only book about 16 divers, choosing for a less crowded dive environment.

You might contact ChrisPete on this board and he may be able to provide more info.

TwoBit has some good info and ideas here (we discussed it on drive back from Freeport), so I am in full support of setting up our own booking for the ENTIRE boat if we can.

CaveDive mentioned the SeaSearcher, and it's true that it is a less crowded environment. But TwoBit and I did a bit of comparison between our experiences with M/V Spree and Sea Searcher II and we liked what we got this year from the Spree.

BTW, there was a full boat this round and the only time that I really felt crowded was during meals, but that was only during serving time since we all spread out again after we loaded up our plates. Remember that the Fling and Spree have their sundecks allowing for more "roaming" room than the SeaSearcher does.

The other plus on the Spree/Fling's side is the availability of Nitrox on board. TwoBit said it during the drive (and I agree heartilly) that the Flower Gardens are perfect places for Nitrox diving. The busy dive schedule and the depths make padding our safety margin against a DCS incident a desirable thing.

So things that TwoBit needs to hear from our folks NOW is a preference for which weekend (or early/late June/July/August) and a preliminary "I'm in" on the trip.

We want to know this stuff as soon as possible so we can take care of all the logistical items and get back to Captain Frank of the M/V Spree as soon as we can.

Let's hear from you folks!!!

(PS to Larry -- We are talking about next summer as to the 'when' on this trip... so surely you can clean out your spare change and honey-do jars in time to go with us :wink: )

I kinda have this personal rule...

Everyone gets a fair shake. When it comes to business though, I typically only give one chance to mess up.

Sea Searcher messed us up. In my opinion it was a big messup.

The greatest bonus to taking SSII is it is less crowded.

A little patience and working together and the Spree and Fling are fine.

They also have Nitrox...That is a huge bonus in my book for that kind of diving.

TwoBit

I have had great trips out with both the Spree and Fling as well as the Sea Searcher. I have also had bad trips out with the Spree and Fling as well as the Sea Searcher. Since they are the only 2 companies taking divers out there are not many other options unless you want to take a much smaller boat.

All in all, I have been fairly happy with my 12 trips out to the Flower Gardens on any of these boats.

LVX

Back
Top Bottom