flower gardens-navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi there, enjoyed the post about flower gardens pet peeves (tips really). hubby and i are going for the first time in july. we have our AOW. what can you tell me about navigating out there......like what to expect for visibility, tips for making sure you find your way around out there ok. thanks,donna

When I went (june 2000), vis was around 75-100 feet. If there's a current, start out swimming against it, so you can effortlessly glide back to the mooring line when you return. If you aren't sure about your navigation skills, I'd say stay within sight of the line. There's plenty to see, and you don't need to go far.

donnad:
hi there, enjoyed the post about flower gardens pet peeves (tips really). hubby and i are going for the first time in july. we have our AOW. what can you tell me about navigating out there......like what to expect for visibility, tips for making sure you find your way around out there ok. thanks,donna

Expect vis in the 80 to 100+ range.

Drop to the anchor bolt and make a mental map as you drop down and when you reach bottom. Use the compass but you have to factor in the effects of any current. Current can change a little or a lot during the dive so also check for changes and compensate again. Always good to start out into the current. You should have time & gas to run a couple routes out & back so do the angles in subsequent legs. Look back as you go (and shoot back azimuths) and add that info to your mental map. Conservative straight spoke patters are easiest initially. When you think that is easy, try some zig-zag patterns involving interesting features. Then, if you are feeling lucky, take an azimuth out, do a 45 to 90 degree arc, and follow and adjusted azimuth back. Changes in wind and current may also change the boat position relative the anchor bolt. If vis is good and conditions are calm, you my try a direct ascent to the boat down lines. But always be prepared to navigate back to the anchor bolt in case things change. Best to plan to use anchor line down and up as currents may also vary with depth.

I managed to get good and lost once in limited vis (40ft)with my wife as my buddy. Lost enough, and into the 2nd half of the tank, we ascended to a rest stop. I figured we'll have to find the boat from the surface. Wife was giving me hell thru most of the rest stop. After almost 3 minutes of drifting at 15 ft (see some bubbles below us telling me we were not too far off) I turned and saw the hull of the boat. It pays to be a little lucky. My wife has never forgotten nor completely forgiven.

donnad:

Donna,

First, enjoy the trip...you'll find it awsome! Listen to the boat brefing..it'll be very complete and informative. Follow the instructions. .the current is almost always stronger at the surface, and at times may run in another direction at depth. \\
there will be a swimline (granny) from the stern of the boat to depth of about 15 or 20 feet on the buoy line. Just start on that line and then follow the buoy line to the bottom. Make a note of the direction of the current at that time and note the direction on your compass. Do a visual of your surroundings..start your dive into the current and dive within your comfort level. ( If something doesn't feel good, I wouldn't attempt to do it.) Return to buoy line, ascend with safety stop and follow swimline to rear of boat. They will instruct you how to make the exit on the ladder...follow those directions and it will be easy peezy after first two dives. Enjoy the trip.!!

Regards,

Here's a good hint, don't let some dumb arsed OW student lead you out one direction, and then take a 150 degree traverse, and put you on the wrong anchor bolt... or even worse, twice the distance from the boat as the nearest boat. But honestly, don't rely on reef heads out there, since after the third or fourth one, they all look the same, especially on East and West banks. Stetson's Bank, well, go off the anchor bolt, and take a heading to the drop-off (the wall) and memorize a feature, then you can follow the depth contour and have a really nice dive that way!

My normal technique is to swim into the current to start.When I have gone far enough to start being concerned I stop swimming and let the current sweep me back to the boat where I breathe a large sigh of relief and start the whole process over again.

If the current changes direction during the dive then you have an issue using my method !

Missing the boat is not the end of the world (but it is embarrassing) they have a chase boat and the crew is well practiced :wink:

Staying in sight of the anchor bolt and looking at small stuff is the best way not to get lost

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom