Flower Gardens 9/10-9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix09

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone going out to the Flower Gardens for the trip next Thurs/Fri (aug 10/11)? I can't wait, it's my first dive in the ocean, I've only done murky lakes before...should be quite a treat. :D

edit: Oops, I just realized that in the thread title I have the trip dates being in September...just a typo there, it really is in August.

The title of your thread says September, but I'm pretty sure you mean next week.

If you mean 8-10 to 8-11, then I'll be with you if you are on the Spree.

Now, let's hope tropical storm Chris doesn't blow out our trip. It is looking dicey.

As a teaser, a whale shark was sighted on Stetson Bank this week.

I hope we cross paths somewhere in the Gulf next week.

I do mean next week...August that is, not September. Don't you just love typos? It wouldn't let me go back and change the thread title, either...oh well.

I'm going on the Fling, not the Spree, but maybe I'll run into you before everyone heads out to the Gardens or something.

If the trip goes, you should love it! It is a tough dive for your first ocean dives, so really pay attention to your air, depth, and navigation.

I would suggest you really stay close to the morring line. Don't loose sight of it. Always swim into the current. Make sure you start you ascent with at least 800 psi or more. Don't go below the allowed depth. You can do that easy on some dives, so just keep an eye on the depth gauge.

Also, when you surface using the mooring line, follow it to the side line, then catch the ladder line. After that, then put your fins on your hands, as the DM will show and pull your self to the ladder, time getting on the ladder when it is lowest in the water. If you surface using the lines under the boat, it is much more difficult, so I suggest the mooring.

Oh, and make sure that you take your seasickness pills starting 24 hours before the trip. If you can, see a doctor and get the patches, I hear they work best.

I loved the trip and had a great time by doing just what I said above. Never got yelled at, never had to be picked up by the boat of shame, and never sat out a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom