Flower Garden NMS - advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ticokitty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks,
I just found out that I was accepted into a program this summer at Flower Garden NMS. They provide a place to stay for the week but I need to make arrangements for a day or so after so I can fly.

Any advice or comments about the Park, place to stay, or stories. I recently moved back to the US and have never dived in the Gulf. All last year I was diving in the Pacific.

Do you dive in a shortie there in June? Would I fry in a long 3mm? (I'm cold blooded) Is there a company you would recommend to do a rescue certification?

I appreciate any info.

Hi ticokitty,

you definitely won't fry in a 3 mil in June, especially if you get cold easily. Water temp will most likely be right around 80. All of my trips out to the FGNMS have been in August, when the water is around 84 degrees, and even then a lot of people used a full wetsuit. (I've done both a shorty and a 3/2 mil full wetsuit).

I'm not sure what you mean about place to stay, since the sanctuary is about 100 miles offshore. If you mean staying somewhere once you get back to the land, it's not a very long drive to Houston from Freeport, and there are plenty of options for accomodations there.

Anyway, you'll love diving the Gardens, the reefs are beautiful and the variety of marine life is outstanding.

Link to FGB info (and picture of the place/boat you will be staying): http://www.gulf-diving.com/

Hopefully your sponser is arranging transprotation to & from airport. If so, stay at hotel near airport.

As a public school teacher I don't have a sponsor....pobrecita...so, I suppose I need more advice than I thought. I'm sure the folks at the sanctuary will be helpful but I like to be in control and aware and ready. It is harder to travel in the US than in other countries, and more expensive!

Thanks for your info

Are you spending the whole week on a boat or on land and then a short trip on the boat? The Flower Gardens are 110 miles off shore. As for suit protection, I wear a 2 piece 3mm with a beanie, even in the summer months. Then again I do multiple dives.

I don't believe there is an easy way to get to Freeport if you don't have a car or someone with a car. Foreigners (with a valid Texas visa) usually fly into Houston which leaves you about 50 miles from Freeport. This usually means you either have to rent a car, have a friend, or make a friend (this board is a good place to start). Or you need to drive to Texas. Driving from TN is probably your best bet. Border crossing is so easy you will think you are in the same country.

Summer trips to FGM are fairly reliable (90+% are a go) but you could get here and find weather problems in the gulf that cause trip cancelation.

You will be doing up to 4 or 5 dives a day. It's pretty hard to have too much thermal protection. I've seen folks in July and August in 5mm full suits. They were warm and comfortable once they got into the water.

I'm finding out more and more about this trip and am getting excited. It is rare to have the opportunity to actually have classes, research, and dives!!!- at least for me. They are putting me up on land the night I get there and we do some land based classes, then it is off to the live aboard I think. We spend a few days out there doing our thing.

I'm going to keep posting and hope that I can figure out the cheapest way to get to and from the airport and get a room for the day before I fly home. I don't think I want to do the drive from Tennessee. My butt gets numb (TMI?)

I really appreciate your advice on the suit, I want to get the most out of my time there. :)

Although others are giving you the best advice about the Gardens themselves, let me advise you to travel via Southwest Airlines. It'll be cheaper than most other airlines, and you'll land at Hobby Airport in south Houston, putting you 30 miles and an hour closer to Freeport than landing at the "big" airport (Houston-Bush Intercontinental.)

Southwest is also quite courteous about checking your Texas visa, as well as the other Texas documents you should have in order before landing.

T I have a funny Texas story... Years back when I was meandering the country, I drove to Austin with some friends of mine. We stopped at a hotel to find out the cost and my friend said, "There sure are a lot of cowboy hats here." I replied that there must be a rodeo in town (as a joke!). He left and went inside and in the midst of small talk asked where the rodeo was. Annoyed with his yankiness, the lady told him he was mistaken, there was no rodeo in town. My buddy exclaimed that he had seen all the cowboy hats and thought there was. I think she just rolled her eyes.

He was so mad at me when he got in the car. Needless to say, we weren't getting any deals at that hotel.

Thanks for the flying advice. Southwest is always a fun ride and I will be sure to fly into the south Houston airport.

Pura Vida

Do you know what day you will get into Houston, and when you will leave?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom