Flow Restrictor for O2 Analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimitrik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an Oxycheq Expedition Analyzer and would like to make a flow restrictor connection that I can hook up to my inflator hose for my BC.

I know I can buy one for about $30 plus shipping but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as finding the actual 1-2 liter/min restrictor so I can just do it as a DIY project. I already have the BC connector and the tubing and just need this one part. I'm just having a difficult time kicking out the 30 bucks for something I don't really need that bad considering the analyzer works without it.

Thanks for the help.

dimitrik:
I have an Oxycheq Expedition Analyzer and would like to make a flow restrictor connection that I can hook up to my inflator hose for my BC.

I know I can buy one for about $30 plus shipping but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as finding the actual 1-2 liter/min restrictor so I can just do it as a DIY project. I already have the BC connector and the tubing and just need this one part. I'm just having a difficult time kicking out the 30 bucks for something I don't really need that bad considering the analyzer works without it.

Thanks for the help.
what you need is a bc whip nipple with 1/4 npt male outlet, a 1/4 npt female to barb connector (one gets screwed onto the other.. and a 3/8 24 port plug without the oring..
You need to drill out the center ot the 1/4 npt male and tap it so that the port plug fits it (no oring) tighten it down, and now screw the barb to 1/4 npt onto the other half.. plug into your whip.. if the flow is too high just inserty an allen key through the barb fitting and tighten (or loosen as necessary).. it will probably cot you $10-$15 to make

When used with a flow restrictor measurement is much more accurate and consitent.. you calibrate it from a know gas source (cylinder with Air) the move it to the gas to be analyzed..

padiscubapro:
what you need is a bc whip nipple with 1/4 npt male outlet, a 1/4 npt female to barb connector (one gets screwed onto the other.. and a 3/8 24 port plug without the oring..
You need to drill out the center ot the 1/4 npt male and tap it so that the port plug fits it (no oring) tighten it down, and now screw the barb to 1/4 npt onto the other half.. plug into your whip.. if the flow is too high just inserty an allen key through the barb fitting and tighten (or loosen as necessary).. it will probably cot you $10-$15 to make

When used with a flow restrictor measurement is much more accurate and consitent.. you calibrate it from a know gas source (cylinder with Air) the move it to the gas to be analyzed..

Thanks, Great Info.

Hi,
i know that this is extremely old post however now I'm looking into making own restrictor .
One version I already have but was looking into doing one more based on yours design.
I don't really get how you can fit 3/8 plug into 1/4 male NPT.
Would you have any pics of it?

He is talking about drilling and tapping the internal bore of the male npt fitting to accept the 3/8" nf plug. Remember that the 1/4" npt is the nominal pipe size, that is the internal bore of schedule 40 pipe will be 1/4". The outside diameter is around half an inch. There should be enough meat on the male npt fitting to drill and tap it to 3/8" nf. I've made a few flow restrictors, and this is a clever design in that it's adjustable. I might try it myself.

Back
Top Bottom