Floridian Fish ID?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. My friend took this picture of during her dives in Florida - off the Ft. Lauderdale coast. She says it is about 1-2 inches and ... well, see the picture. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• unknown fish.jpg
    unknown fish.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 98
Thanks! I think that may be right! Now to figure out which type of Sharpnose Puffer it is!!

Puffer was my first inclination because of the eyes and the formation of the head. But I don't know much about fish in any neck of the woods, much less that one! :)

Thanks Walter! You rock!

Thanks! I think that may be right! Now to figure out which type of Sharpnose Puffer it is!!

I think there's just the one species in that neck of the woods. And I think Walter's right about it's ID. Canthigaster rostrata.

I believe it is Canthigaster rostrata though there is another species that is extremely similar to this one and found in the same area, Canthigaster jamestyleri, the Gold Faced Toby. When I get to work tomorrow I can look over some literature and try to get a positive ID on this little guy

It is so so cute!!

Isn't it so amazing how much variety of creatures we see underwater! So awe inspiring!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom