Florida in Winter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outside, in this "frigid" weather. I have yet to put a jacket on this year, and only did it twice all of last winter. My manatee body has it's advantages...

Walter once bubbled...
I'm glad you aren't cold. I've been freezing the last two days. It won't keep me from diving, but it's been cold.

Hi Walter,

What's the water temp in the Gulf running now? I'm on a liveaboard out to the Roatan Express and Fantastico this weekend and really not sure what to expect as far as temp. Thanks.

Tom

Tom,

I haven't been in the Gulf in a few weeks, but last night I heard a report of 69° F at the surface, slightly warmer at depth. This is the time of year when water temps really start dropping, I'd bring a heavy duty suit and hood. I'm guessing you'll have low to mid 70's, but hey I've been wrong before. I'd plan for 60's just in case.

Sounds good. I'll be wearing a drysuit, just wondering which set of underwear to bring. Think I'll pack both.

Thanks.

Tom

Walter,what do you consider heavy duty(besides dry)? 7/5 1 peice? w/or w/out hooded vest? 5mm 2 peice? 7mm? gloves? just curious... :3eye:

he uses one of them thar immersion heaters (like you boil water with) until the water is -just-the-right-temperature-!!! :tease:

In the winter, in the Gulf I wear a 1/4" farmer john with a 1/4 inch beaver tail jacket over the top. I don't forget my hood.

I wear a 3mm 1pc Goldcore Jumper w/the 5mm Goldcore shorty/farmer-john on the outside. I dive mostly springs @ 68-72 degrees & I stay toasty. I also wear a 6/5 Akona hood as well. I think if you chill easily, you may want the 5mm Goldcore. But deffinately wear a full hood. You lose almost 80% of you heat from your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom