Florida in Winter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snobeach

Reaction score
Is a 7/5 1 piece gold core overkill for diving Florida in the winter?
Is it enough? Mostly I'll be diving in the West Palm/Fort Lauderdale areas, but I hope to check out the keys and some of the fresh water springs in the future. I'd like to be as prepared as possible without buying out the store. I definately do not want to be cold and I already own a 3mm hyperstretch. I need to make a choice now since I must order by mid-week. (my first trip is sheduled over Turkey day and into December.) Please, help me decide. ALL input welcome, Thanks.

I'd say it's overkill. Even most South Florida divers wouldn't wear something that heave in the winter. Personally I wear a 5 mil semi dry and find that I'm very comfortable even on the coldest days. Just remember that even on our coldest days the water temp is still in the upper 60's.

I have seen a few people that wear a light weight, shell drysuit in the winter although not so much for the warmth in the water as for the warmth of being dry out of the water where the air temp can be in the 50's and the winds are blowing.

Drop me a line when you're in the area and maybe we can go get wet.

Scott

In the Panhandle it can get quite chilly. Gulf water temps can get down into the 50's, and the 68 of the springs can be a might bracing when there's a chill wind blowing topside.
Florida is a long state - it can easily be 80 in the Keys when there's a hard freeze in Defuniak Springs.
I'm already into my drysuit for panhandle diving 'til May.
Rick

For the east coast and springs, it's more than most folks need, but not overkill. OTOH, the west coast get's cold. You'll need it if you explore the Gulf. If you dive the Gulf, don't forget a hood, you'll need it.

Thanks for the good input everyone! While most of my time will be spent in the SE, my brother just recently relocated to Sarasota. Walter, I was unaware of any good diving nearby there, so I'd love some good ideas for when I visit him. That would be great in fact! Also, I was unaware of how much cooler the Gulf side is, so thanks for mentioning it.
As for the suit, the 7/5 was remarkably comfortable, and less bulky than I expected, which was part of the temptation. However, I don't want to melt, so maybe it is overkill??? Would a 5mm plus hooded vest be a better choice? Keep the opinions coming, thanks again! :)

of WWW. I swam laps both yesterday and today. Will be diving in a spring today as well. Keep warm, oh thin skinned one. :tease:

Pete,

I'm not following you, buddy. What does swimming laps and diving in the springs have to do with winter not being slightly oxymoronic in Florida?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom